It's HOT

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by HoosierShadow, Jul 23, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We had a break from the real hot temps, but the temp is suppose to climb today and we are under a heat advisory today and tomorrow. It's noon and almost 85. High is 95 with heat index over 100. Not looking forward to it. Not to mention the humidity will climb with it. YUCK. YUCK. YUCK. I have to admit, I am ready for some early fall weather! Not too hot, and not too cool.
    I am getting ready to go out, get the goaties fresh water, and I froze a milk jug of water, and an ice cream plastic gallen container with water <didn't have anymore jugs LOL>, so I'll stick those in their water to help keep it cool.

Anyone else growing tired of the heat? The temps aren't too bad here, but the humidity....whew.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yep ...I am in California..... it has been at 108 and some places higher.... we have been getting very odd ball weather with the hot....then comes temps in the low 90's....in which we love......it has been so weird....plus.... I am always worrying about the goats ....with the up and down temp changes.....but so far... they are doing well..... :wink: :doh:

3. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    It has been so hot in Southern Delaware this year... I am sure it's great for the beach areas but it has been just miserable. We are at 96' already today with a heat advisory and tomorrow is supposed to hit 100'.

We have been able to keep the goats and horses in good condition but have lost a total of 6 of our chickens to the heat over the course of the last 5 weeks. :(

And of course our electric bill is through the roof with the ac running and the fans in the barn on non-stop.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    wow! I cannot imagine those temps!!

It's been in the 50's here..lol.

5. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I live in Central KY, and I couldn't deal with temps in the 100s! 90s/upper 90s are really hot for us. Do you all get high humidity where you live? I think the temps themselves wouldn't be so terrible if we didn't have the humidity to go with them!
    THANKFULLY, it's only 88 with a heat index of around 94. The humidity is actually kinda lower than they said it would be, but we haven't hit the peak of the day yet.
    I spent the last couple of hours outside with the goats - been working on temporary shelters next to my barn in the shady area, so I can start getting it figured out before cold weather is upon us. So thankfully it wasn't too bad to be out in the shade. But I am still sweat soaked!

Amika - I hear ya on the electric bill. Our AC runs all day long these days and we have it set at 81 degrees! Everyone gets so sticky and sweaty that we go through more laundry than usual, what am I doing now? Trying to finish up my laundry...a never ending task.

My favorite weather is spring and fall. March/April/May and Sept/Oct/early Nov

6. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Just drove by the bank. Anniston is at 98 with a heat index of 108 today and Saturday. :sigh: Pray for us. We will be in full old west costumes Saturday for our Wild West Show. About 2 1/2 to 3 hour show. Miss Kitty needs a wading pool. :laugh:

Gina

7. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    OMG Gina I hope you guys just take it easy on yourselves and don't over do it in this heat.

My husband just let all the goats loose back in the woods to browse - one side is fenced. They love when he lets them go back there. We have an acre of wooded area in the back we haven't fully fenced in yet for them. Yep they are in browse heaven right now, and it's much cooler back there :)

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hot here too... I work in a kitchen from 5 am to 2 pm, no AC and the quickest way to get a break from the heat is to go into the walk in freezer!
    My meat thermometer was on a shelf 5 feet away from the grill, fryers etc and it had climbed to 125* by noon, thats even with exhaust fans.

96* at 4pm....which only means it's gonna be just as hot in that kitchen at 5 in the morning when I get there.

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yep.....it's miserable here today in Northern Indiana! Just hate it....worse summer we have had since moving here 7yrs ago.....but at least it's not like the summers growing up in Texas, but of course I didn't have animals outside in the heat when I lived down there.

10. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Liz we must have been posting at the same time, just saw yours......WOW that is awful! That has to be miserable working in that kitchen with the heat and humdity from cooking......my a/c is on and my kitchen got too hot for me canning yesterday!

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    OK Alaska...... HeHe....you are so lucky.. we are melting here....:wink: :thumb: :laugh:

12. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I have a friend going on a cruise in Alaska, she is leaving today! I was going to ask her if I could hide in her suitcase LOL
    THANKFULLY we didn't get to the 95 they were talking about - 89 so far today! It's great in the shade, but get out in that sun and WHEW!

Liz - how on earth you can handle that beats me! Coming out of that freezer must be pure torture!

I just spent about 40 minutes watching the goats in the woods, and finally brought them back up to their pen.

13. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    It's supposed to be 102 tomorrow-the last I heard anyways. I like it warm enough so the hoses aren't froze, but cool enough so I dont roast.

14. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    It's after 8pm and still 90 degrees with a heat index of 103 and winds!!!!! I am so over this summer.....bring on old man winter...I am ready! The yard and flowers are starting to look dreadful, water hose just doesn't do it!....garden is hanging in there so far!

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Even with the heat here, my flowers look good...we've been fortunate enough to get those wide scattered cloud bursts. Keeps things pretty but at the same time with the heat it makes it even more miserable humid and the flies much worse, poor goats can't even browse with fly spray on cause the bugs are so bad.

16. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    My flower bed has struggled this summer because of all the rain, then it dried out and got hot, then off and on rain, and then hot again, and so forth. Some plants are thriving, others look like they are frying!
    The garden seems to be okay, but I admit I haven't been out there for days. My husband did the last picking. But everything looks okay, considering I thought we'd lose it all in May with all the rain... we did lose 1/2 of it.

I'm not looking forward to the heat tomorrow. I hear it'll be worse than today.
    I did hear the swimming pools in the town near us will have 1/2 price admission, maybe even the pool in our county? So that might be where the kids and hubby end up!
    We were possibly going to go look at some does, and do a couple of errands before or after a birthday party tomorrow, but the heat might make it hard to do :( We'll see, as I am excited to get a few more does to complete our herd :)

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Boy... wouldn't that be nice..... :laugh: :thumb:

18. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    It's monsoon season here in the SW. We were having triple digits up until the rain came. Now it's MUGGIER than all sin! Supposed to be back up to 108 or so tomorrow and keep climbing from there, humidity and temp. Yep, dawg days of summer are upon us.

Deb Mc
    Desert Hills, AZ

19. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Yeah our flower bed by the front door is not doing so well....of course half the time because of where it is located we forget to water it. My blackberries are struggling-but not sure if that is just because of the heat or ? My blueberries are still in their pot that I got them from the store in-i'm to afraid to plant them-I want them to survive this time around. I dont know if the climate is quite right for them here to grow successfully although a few towns over they seem to grow okay I hear.

20. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    It's getting hot here, for us anyway. Almost 90, but the heat index has been in the mid to upper 90s. Yesterday didn't feel as bad, because of the nice breeze.
    Most of the goats went over into the wooded area to browse. My 10 mo old doe isn't herself today. She always greets me at the gate with her sidekick, who is a 5 month old buckling, and he was the only one to greet me. She was laying down. She went back and stood at the top of the firewood in the shade - catching a breeze, but looks like she isn't feeling so great :( I offered her water, but she wasn't interested. I'll check on her in a little while. The heat is hard on her older sister too - she hides all day in a cool spot and only comes out at night or early in the day when it's this warm.
    Goat kids are drinking water, and bouncing around, so no worries with them :) But I feel bad for my doe, she's my sweetie.

My 3yo isn't feeling all that great today either, had a cough this morning, and looks sleepy eyed. SO we're just going to take it easy today. We were going to go look into getting a couple more does, but it's just too hot.