The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I had to sell my Toggenburg herd. Since dispersing them, I have only been itching to get goats back on the property. A few weeks ago, I contacted my favorite breeder about purchasing a pair of bred does to start back up with. Unfortunately, my friend is no longer able to continue with her dairy herd, as she needs knee replacement surgery, and the goats need to go. I was very disheartened to learn this, because I thought she wouldn't have much to choose from. Boy was I wrong! I ended up purchasing the remaining Toggs form her herd. I ended up with:

NESTOR ACRES WJO ORRY MAIN
http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail.aspx?RegNumber=T001428769

SEVEN-MAPLES REZ-STEL SONATA - 88+EEV
http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail.aspx?RegNumber=T001255309

SEVEN-MAPLES WH-SHEB SHIVAREE - 89VEEE
http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail.aspx?RegNumber=T001336784

Also a 4 yr old daughter from each of these lovely ladies sired by Orry that have not been registered yet, but will be as soon as I get my renewal back from ADGA.

All 4 does are productive and in milk, and the flesh condition on the two geriatrics is just amazing, and such a testament to the longevity of the old lines, and the exquisite management of their breeder!

I am SO excited I can hardly contain myself!!:stars:

Kelly :)

P.S.
Those dates down there is how long is has been since I HAD goat kids born! Bella's doeling was sold with the herd when she was just under a year, so it has been too long for me! ::Now to figure out how to manage that ticker::

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These girls need a little bit of work in the 'friendliness' department still. Although none are aggressive. They have only been machine milked (I am hand milking till spring when I can buy another machine due to my carpal tunnel), so are not super appreciative of my hand milking, which takes much longer than via machine. They are still a bit scared, as they have never left the grounds they were born on, but are coming around. The oldest one is becoming a pest, but she really doesn't like to be caught and handled...she wants to be handled when SHE wants it. Her daughter is shy and very reserved, and although she has been standing well to milk, she laid down on the job the day before yesterday LOL! The other doe's daughter is the high strung nervous one - gosh, is she beautiful to look at though!!!! She gets everyone acting like a bunch of spazzes. The others all watch your feet when you entry the pen, not Queenie! She looks you dead in the eye with every fiber of her being taught as a drum waiting to explode! And Orry? He is just about as laid back and mellow as it gets, which is good, because although he is not the tallest buck in the world, he has mass like a freight train, and the only buck I have ever met that has a FAT ROLL across his poll!!! He has lovely dairy character under all of his hair, and I can see where his two daughters got their refinement from! I will get pics of everyone as individuals soon enough, for now, you can see Orry munching his breakfast! For perspective, he has a 24" neck circumfrence at his wattles, which, is the only place I could seat his collar! I do not own one larger to let it slide down further. As much as we love him, he will be looking for a new home next spring, as I need to open the gene pool a bit.

Kelly :)

·
558 Posts
Love the name Orry Main. I just watched North and South for about the 12th time yesterday! Made me fall in love with Patrick Swayze all over again.
(Orry Main is the character Patrick plays)
Anyone else know the mini-series?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Love the name Orry Main. I just watched North and South for about the 12th time yesterday! Made me fall in love with Patrick Swayze all over again.
Anyone else know the mini-series?
I haven't seen that one, but I love the one with whats her name and Richard Armitage. I don't like the ending really, but I love the show. :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Congratulations, Kelly, that is terrific for you and your friend! :) I cannot imagine not having goats around. They are just such special creatures!

goatiegirl, yes I know the North and South mini-series, although I have not watched it 12 times. :laugh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts