The Goat Spot Forum banner

It's.... It.... It's HERE! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!! (First doe of the year bred!)

5K views 82 replies 20 participants last post by  Lil Boogie 
#1 ·
Well, as of today rut hath started.... Yesterday Gizmos legs were shiney, beautiful white from the bath I had given him a month or so ago. Today, I wake up, go feed, and boom.... Their BROWN.... All the boys today are yelling, blubbering, and just, bucks.....🙄. I definitely think it's got something to do with Cupie coming in heat, but MAN that was fast! But in my case this is good as I got some yearlings I want to breed to become FFs BEFORE winter is here. I'd like them kidding in the 40-60s, not 20-30s. So, anybody else got rut goin on yet?

#3 ·
I saw one of ours peeing on his face the other day. Lyric was blubbering at my legs this morning. No strong rut behavior but it's picking up. We'll be breeding 4 girls next week over the course of the week. (they have CIDRs in, getting one last batch of kids from my big boy before he leaves). So that might get some of them riled up and started.

#5 ·
I got my big fellow sent away to a friends for the summer. He’s good with fall breeding so it works out well for me to let him use my buck and in return, I get the separation and a hard date of return to go by so I know my earliest kidding date. I still never know each individual does due date, but boy would I be a mess if I didn’t know the earliest date! 😂
My youngsters are chittering more the last day or so. It’s about time to band everyone - hard to make sure timing is good for urethras to grow big but before danger of active attempts at breeding!

#8 ·
I dont think my boys ever left rut lol. Kimchi is always very vocal!

#12 ·
What age do bucks really start the whole “rut” behavior. I have a buckling who is 3.5 months old (he already blubbers to the girls and does a funny straight leg stomp love dance) and a buck who turns one next month who is teaching the new guy all his best moves. They have not gone crazy yet though. And they pretty much just hang out calmly with the does unless one is in heat. Then they are pretty lovesick.

#13 ·
Last year my buck was around later than I’d wanted and was pretty aggressive in harassing the ladies. I think his example was followed… the boys last year all acted more Bucky earlier on. This year the buck that was here for a month or so was very mellow and didn’t do anything and so the kids didn’t see that behavior. I think it makes a difference 😅

#26 ·
My boys aren’t crazy in rut. Just the smell is 10x worse than before. They are actually VERY calm with the girls. One reason I picked there daddy was because he was the calmer of the two bucks I was looking and the ladies I got him from told me he doesn’t chase the girls around, he calmly walks up to them and does the deed of they stand there long enough to let him try. My boys have both actually inherited that trait. Which I’m very thankful for. It’s just their daddy didn’t actually smell as bad and they do. [emoji52]

#27 ·
Welp, the boys have swayed the girls Lol. Spinky is in heat, And Goldie is in heat. I put Spinky with Gizmo and and she got nailed two times. I put her back with the girls because I don't want them to get too hot. I'll go back down in a bit to pair them again. So, first doe down!

#29 ·
I had one buckling start at day one with mounting the barn cat. Told the husband we would be having long eared cats that year hahaha. The worse part the cat didn't even mind at all. I think he thought the goat was hugging and grooming him! Lol

#30 ·
Oh my goodness. You guys are lucky! Murphy has been peeing on his face since early May! He smells so bad lol. And he's super friendly and playful, so he always wants to rub the side of his face on everyone, including me. Ugh! I've been trying to train him not to rub on people, but he is stubborn and keeps trying and all it takes is the lightest touch hahaha. I come in smelling bad after almost every feeding.

@Jubillee - did you say you're leasing Eggplant? Oh my goodness. Eggplant from Eden's Lilly?!? I was considering getting on a waiting list for a buckling next year from either her or Margaret, but they never got back to me. She's GORGEOUS!

#32 ·
Oh my goodness. You guys are lucky! Murphy has been peeing on his face since early May! He smells so bad lol. And he's super friendly and playful, so he always wants to rub the side of his face on everyone, including me. Ugh! I've been trying to train him not to rub on people, but he is stubborn and keeps trying and all it takes is the lightest touch hahaha. I come in smelling bad after almost every feeding.

@Jubillee - did you say you're leasing Eggplant? Oh my goodness. Eggplant from Eden's Lilly?!? I was considering getting on a waiting list for a buckling next year from either her or Margaret, but they never got back to me. She's GORGEOUS!
I have both of those girls here

#37 ·
I have a friend coming to help with hooves tomorrow. My husband refuses to help and my buck needs his done . My friend has pigs so she doesn't care. My buck loves to rub his head all over the person either holding him or doing his front feet depending how they hold him. My husband when howbdid hold would stand on the other side of the fence and just hold the end of the rope hence the head rubbing all over me while trimming. Hopefully tomorrow will go fairly odor free lol.

#33 ·
Ugh my goats. I’m going to be recovering from surgery when I normally put the bucks with the does so I went ahead and got everyone parted and in with their specific boyfriends. 3 does came into heat the first of the month and then……………nothing. So it’s going to be the longest kidding season ever for me next year. I really like them all together kidding. Loose sleep for all not just one. All the kids are the same size so less pushing around in the creep feeder and so on. So I’m going to be frustrated at the end of the year

#38 ·
Good luck @DDFN 🍀🍀🍀🍀
One good thing about horned goats, you have 2 nice handles to hold them… that’s what my dad thinks anyway 😅
He’s the one who gets to hold top side while I bend over and do the stinky part (front legs/hooves).
My new Buck is polled (has scurs tho 😑) but I had luck just chaining his collar to fence while worked on him. He’s gone till Oct… I’m sure he will be nice and stinky and need a hood trimming when he gets back 🤣

#39 ·
Lol nice and stinky when he returns I bet will be an under statement!

Thanks it should go well. My guy was disbudded before I got him as a bottle baby but he has some scurs too. So I normally get a deep tissue massage when he rubs me lol. I try to tell him a little to the left but he keeps thinking his left instead of my left. Hahaha

I had a pygmy goat as a brush cleaner in the beginning and when you went to do back hooves I swear his horns made him heavy and he would hand stand on front hooves for me to do both back hooves. It was weird and funny too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.