The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

Registered
I miss my ducks
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as of today rut hath started.... Yesterday Gizmos legs were shiney, beautiful white from the bath I had given him a month or so ago. Today, I wake up, go feed, and boom.... Their BROWN.... All the boys today are yelling, blubbering, and just, bucks.....馃檮. I definitely think it's got something to do with Cupie coming in heat, but MAN that was fast! But in my case this is good as I got some yearlings I want to breed to become FFs BEFORE winter is here. I'd like them kidding in the 40-60s, not 20-30s. So, anybody else got rut goin on yet?

Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
I saw one of ours peeing on his face the other day. Lyric was blubbering at my legs this morning. No strong rut behavior but it's picking up. We'll be breeding 4 girls next week over the course of the week. (they have CIDRs in, getting one last batch of kids from my big boy before he leaves). So that might get some of them riled up and started.

Registered
I got my big fellow sent away to a friends for the summer. He鈥檚 good with fall breeding so it works out well for me to let him use my buck and in return, I get the separation and a hard date of return to go by so I know my earliest kidding date. I still never know each individual does due date, but boy would I be a mess if I didn鈥檛 know the earliest date! 馃槀
My youngsters are chittering more the last day or so. It鈥檚 about time to band everyone - hard to make sure timing is good for urethras to grow big but before danger of active attempts at breeding!

Registered
Well, as of today rut hath started.... Yesterday Gizmos legs were shiney, beautiful white from the bath I had given him a month or so ago. Today, I wake up, go feed, and boom.... Their BROWN.... All the boys today are yelling, blubbering, and just, bucks.....馃檮. I definitely think it's got something to do with Cupie coming in heat, but MAN that was fast! But in my case this is good as I got some yearlings I want to breed to become FFs BEFORE winter is here. I'd like them kidding in the 40-60s, not 20-30s. So, anybody else got rut goin on yet?
馃憢
Mine are! I'm so happy. 馃槕馃檮

Super Moderator
I dont think my boys ever left rut lol. Kimchi is always very vocal!

Registered
I miss my ducks
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I saw one of ours peeing on his face the other day. Lyric was blubbering at my legs this morning. No strong rut behavior but it's picking up. We'll be breeding 4 girls next week over the course of the week. (they have CIDRs in, getting one last batch of kids from my big boy before he leaves). So that might get some of them riled up and started.
Ooohhh! Which girls? And it's which buck who's leaving? Jake(?) Idk lol... Or was it a Nigie?

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

Registered
What age do bucks really start the whole 鈥渞ut鈥 behavior. I have a buckling who is 3.5 months old (he already blubbers to the girls and does a funny straight leg stomp love dance) and a buck who turns one next month who is teaching the new guy all his best moves. They have not gone crazy yet though. And they pretty much just hang out calmly with the does unless one is in heat. Then they are pretty lovesick.

Registered
What age do bucks really start the whole 鈥渞ut鈥 behavior. I have a buckling who is 3.5 months old (he already blubbers to the girls and does a funny straight leg stomp love dance) and a buck who turns one next month who is teaching the new guy all his best moves. They have not gone crazy yet though. And they pretty much just hang out calmly with the does unless one is in heat. Then they are pretty lovesick.
Last year my buck was around later than I鈥檇 wanted and was pretty aggressive in harassing the ladies. I think his example was followed鈥 the boys last year all acted more Bucky earlier on. This year the buck that was here for a month or so was very mellow and didn鈥檛 do anything and so the kids didn鈥檛 see that behavior. I think it makes a difference 馃槄

Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
Ooohhh! Which girls? And it's which buck who's leaving? Jake(?) Idk lol... Or was it a Nigie?
Jake is leaving :( I just have so much of his genetics now. I want to hoard him because I love him but at the same time, want him to make lots of babies lol. He is breeding Lulu, Prissy (leasing her for the year), and Eggplant (another lease but a repeat breeding). Lulu and Prissy are his half-sisters on the sire side. So I' going to see how that goes since his sire improves certain things nicely. Then I'm breeding Sunny to Sinai if he will respond lol. If not I need to pick which back up. My ND is gone, no more nigies!

Registered
I miss my ducks
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Poor guy, he's already eat up with it! The "L" word. And I don't mean Leprosy.

It really depends on how fast the buck matures

That wasn't a reference to ice age.......

Registered
I miss my ducks
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jake is leaving :( I just have so much of his genetics now. I want to hoard him because I love him but at the same time, want him to make lots of babies lol. He is breeding Lulu, Prissy (leasing her for the year), and Eggplant (another lease but a repeat breeding). Lulu and Prissy are his half-sisters on the sire side. So I' going to see how that goes since his sire improves certain things nicely. Then I'm breeding Sunny to Sinai if he will respond lol. If not I need to pick which back up. My ND is gone, no more nigies!
Noooooo!!!!!!!!! 馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶 Not Jake! I'll take him!!!馃槶 Oh well lol.
I bet that's not an easy one to let go of!

Registered
Last year my buck was around later than I鈥檇 wanted and was pretty aggressive in harassing the ladies. I think his example was followed鈥 the boys last year all acted more Bucky earlier on. This year the buck that was here for a month or so was very mellow and didn鈥檛 do anything and so the kids didn鈥檛 see that behavior. I think it makes a difference
Interesting. My older (not old though, just one) guy is very mellow. The little guy is all about mimicking everything he does. I鈥檒l have to see if they stay mellow. I have my doubts. Lol. Also, the does are quick to put the rowdy boys in their place if the bucks are being rude, and since the girls are older and bigger, this likely works to keep the peace鈥or now. I better enjoy this herd harmony while it lasts.

Registered
Interesting. My older (not old though, just one) guy is very mellow. The little guy is all about mimicking everything he does. I鈥檒l have to see if they stay mellow. I have my doubts. Lol. Also, the does are quick to put the rowdy boys in their place if the bucks are being rude, and since the girls are older and bigger, this likely works to keep the peace鈥or now. I better enjoy this herd harmony while it lasts.
I hope it lasts for you!
It could just be a difference in the kids, but I was a little annoyed at how Bucky all the little guys were. So I鈥檓 happy with the change this year whether or not it has anything to do with learned behavior or not 馃槄

1 - 20 of 45 Posts