The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The day before yesterday my husband and son built Chimi his own pen. Up until now he has been in with one of the bucks. We put a really tame yearling doe named Pinkie (she belongs to a relative but lives here) in with Chimi so he wouldn't be alone. Pinkie is very friendly but I have spend tons of hours with Chimi and we are so bonded he never gets far from me. Pinkie, on the other hand, is not bonded with me. I've been on crutches since January and Chimi has learned to stay clear of them and so far has never tripped me up. Today I put up the highline, hitched Chimi and Pinkie to it and spent an hour brushing and loving on them. Knoodling. I love that word! I unhitched them from the highline and headed out for a short walk around the barns. Chimi - my loyal friend - came along just fine. Pinkie would catch up with us when she felt like it but never strayed far. Then she realized where my sons herd of Boer goats was - in the north pasture. Off she headed since that is who she had been with before moving in with Chimi. So up to the north pasture I trek on crutches with ever faithful Chimi. I hooked a leadrope to Pinkie to bring her back down to the new pen. She leads but pulls enough on occasion that it is difficult to use my crutches. Somewhere I read that you can hook a goat that doesn't want to lead to another goat that does. I hooked her to Chimi and headed down to the new pen. I have to tell you - what happened next is so comical I am still chuckling about it! Chimi wanted to follow me but Pinkie had other ideas. She put her head down and leaned into the rope and poor Chimi - no matter how much he tried to drag his feet - was drug along! By the time I caught up to them (crutches inhibit fast running!) Pinkie had drug Chimi almost all the way back to the north pasture! I unhooked poor Chimi and I know I heard a sigh of relief! I led Pinkie back to the new pen but she wasn't happy about it. I learned a lot during this incident and it sure didn't end up being a short walk around the barns! :lol:

·
Registered
171 Posts
That's funny - sad for poor Chimi! One of my cousins is on crutches, just left this morning after a visit, and he had a hard enough time trying to catch up with and then pt the animals when they walked away leisurely, without trying to lead them! He broke his other ankle last year, you'd think he'd have more practice racing around. :lol: Not that the doctors would be too pleased if he managed to damage anything - I would be rather nervous of breaking my face if I was leading a goat on crutches!
Hope you can get off your crutches soon and run without hopping. :)
Cheers,
Cazz

1 - 2 of 2 Posts