It's official: I hate horns.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by billmac, Sep 28, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    We disbudded our nubians because we got them as newborns, but our two boers were weaned when we got them and their horns were well established. I wasn't crazy about it, but it didn't seem to be too big a deal, and it appeared that most people didn't disbud boers anyway.

Well, any new boer kids at our house will go under the iron. The horns are just too much of a pain and too dangerous for my liking. When the girls are in heat, my boer buck is swinging his head at anything that comes near, including me, and those big scimitar horns are a hazard to say the least. The more you wrestle with him to keep his horns at bay, the more he perceives the challenge. This morning was really bad and finally I grabbed a few handfuls of water from his bucket and threw them in his face. That seemed to do the trick. I think I'm going to invest in a squirt gun.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    oh my = I am so sorry. I have never had a nasty buck come at me ---- I guess I am pretty lucky with that.

I am glad that you are ok though!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    :( horns certainly can be dangerous

I like mine hornless so I was happy to add a polled doe to to my herd :thumb:

4. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    HOrns on a buck can't be fun! But, on the funnier side, you could wrestle that guy forever, but throw a little a water on him....

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Put some vinigar in that squirt bottle. about half vinegar half water. that should keep him away. I once had a buck who had a nasty scur that i had to carry a brrom handle in the pen with me. If i had it he would stay back. I never hit him with it. But if i didnt have it then he would come after me. I got him as a two year old, he may of been hit with a stick or something by a previous owner. But he was three hundred lbs of pure mean.
    beth

6. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I don't like horns either so we disbud everything. I've also banded off horns on goats who were horned or had bad scurs.

7. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Don't grab the horns, grab the beard! Only grab a bucks horns if you have to restrain him, cuz if you continue to grab them just to push him away he thinks you are jousting with him and it will only make him more aggressive. I know it's nasty cuz he pees on his beard, but like a bulls nose a bucks beard is where he is weak minded and grabbing the beard is a better way to control him. Many show people will lead a wild buck into the ring by his beard and this is the only way they can control him. Reach down there and grab a handfull of beard or the chin wattle and you can lead him around like a bull with a ring in his nose!

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I love my boys horns. They are very big horns and the boys are gentle Giants. I agree with sealawyer, don't grab the horns unless you have to. I am lucky enough that I lead my boys around with their horns, but I always grab the base.
    I know it is hard if you are not use to the horns. All mine have them so it is no big deal for me.

9. grandmajo

grandmajo Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Have a big bottle of hand sanitizer in your pocket for after you do this, lol. Yuck!

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others on... don't grab the horns.....it is a challenge to them...........
    grabbing the beard... remarkably does control them.....but yep ....you get the stink as well..... :wink: LOL pee uuuuuuuu

If he is aggressive and uncontrollable...... it's time... to rid yourself of a buck... not his horns.....I have had boer bucks and does for years... and only had one aggressive uncontrollable ..buck....................he hit the road quickly....and was replaced..... I to...like their horns....... they are a radiator in the summer ...and a heater in the winter....but... I respect those... who don't like horns....but I myself ...like horns and they look nice as well... :wink: :greengrin:

Also if you have to doctor or trim the buck ...and they don't want to corporate...I find ...that I can tie a rope around the horns....and put him firmly ..up to a fence ...to get the job done ......otherwise with no horns ..........that cannot be achieved... :wink: :greengrin: Good luck no matter what your decision may be..... :hug:

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Yup dont grab the horns thats for sure. He will think its a challenge. The beard is much better. or even his upper lip. When my bucks get a little nasty i have grabbed their upper lip and pinched. It usually sends them a good message and they back off.
    I know some people like horns. And if goats are handled properly from the begining then horns can be just another part of the goat. Its just those that get aggressive with them that cause problems.
    Diay goat horns and pygmy horns also have a very different shape to them then boers and angoras. They tend to go up and out more. I have noticed boers and angoras tend to lay flatter and dont get as long.
    beth

12. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    My buck has nasty scurs -- I couldn't IMAGINE actual horns! :shocked:

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I love horns on goats...but to each is there own. Never had any of my goats be aggressive towards me with their horns, and I agree with all that was said about not touching his horns when he comes at you, he see's it as a challenge and will continue to do it, if he can't be taught proper manners then he should be re homed....or freezer camp as it is likely to worsen as he ages.

Horns aren't bad, it's the attitude of the goat carrying them :wink:

14. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I love the look of horns, I really do. That's why a lot of my drawings have them.

But for me, all my goat babies will be disbudded from now on. Too dangerous for me. I'm liable to loose an eye at the least, and a goat at the most. My nubian has gored my wether, had to be cut out of the fence twice, pulled from the fence countless times, just about knocks me over every morning. Even though she has horns, she looks the most stupid any goat can look with a PVC pipe duct taped across her horns. It's her dunce cap. I finally had it with her after 3 pulls from the fence within 3 hours and one cutting out of the fence 30 minutes later.