Its Official, Im Addicted.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Hidden Waters Farm, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    Tomorrow Im going to pick up my 17th goat, It will be my 15th goat this year :wahoo:.
    I told myself that Im NOT buying another goat this year after tomorrow, and then I browse CL and other local advertising places that sell stuff all the time and then I find another goat I want. :help:

Who else here has this issue?

I feel like this shirt:
    [ame]http://www.cafepress.com/evilgeniusblue.334785614[/ame]

ETA: To fix broken link.

2. rocky_ridge_goats

rocky_ridge_goats New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    They're like potato chips... once you have one, you gotta get another! I love that shirt, I sure could use it!

3. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
  4. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Next year you will have to milk all those does. Or not, I guess. That is a lot of growth in a year. They really are addictive aren't they. I have 22, some are going next year and some are staying forever, but I have a lot of kids coming. I'm only going to be milking maybe five, maybe four, and I don't know if my hands are going to hold up for that. I might have to spring for a milking machine.

It took me six years to get to 22, and 7 of them are not breeding stock. But I was only breeding for kinders. You have a wonderful collection.

Jan

5. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    PS that t-shirt is terrific. (I'd buy it if I wasn't saving for a milking machine and I just bought a cheese making machine.)

6. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    We all are, but it's okay. I went from 1 to 2 to 5 to 4 to 10 to 2 to 3 to 5 to 9 to 6 to 7 to 30+ and as of right now Im just not counting heads :ponder: maybe I can slip one or two new one's in when Randys at work? they keep multiplying. I might count again once Im done with kidding in about 5 months
    At least now with no Bucks around we know when we will be done, although I'm hoping sooner.

7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    If I had more land...I'd be buying a lot more goats! We want to keep space for any kids our girls have that we want to keep :)

8. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I've told myself that I am only allowed to by registered animals. That keeps my goat purchasing way down since they are a lot more expensive. When I had only grade Nigerians I bought way too many because I could get them very cheaply.

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I keep saying the same thing, No more goat, no more goats, then I was offered two so yep I took them, now a lady from Texas called and wants me to buy several of her award winning Cashmere goats, for $50.00, :shocked: WOW, ok, I have her sending me samples of their fiber and pictures of them.

10. melbick

melbick New Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Venus, TX
    I am fully in the same boat you are in. I started out with 4 ND (3 does and a Buck) now we have 10 all total (3 ND Bucks, 6 ND does and a cross-eyed nubian Doe) and all of this in 6 months :ROFL: My mom says no more but I am trying to talk her into a couple of more does. I we are wethering one of the baby bucks and selling 2 of the doelings so I don't see a problem in it. I keep telling her that at least I am addicted to goats and not other things but she is not buying it. Where she gets upset with me is when I go to pick up a doe and the people tell me that they will give me a discount if I take the wether or buck that has been her companion for such and such amount of time :shrug: . Luckly I have a guy up here that has 200 acres that he is trying to clear out and he buys all my extra bucks and wethers other wise I would have about 20 goats by now :hair:

I am so going to get that shirt as soon as I sell a couple of these babies in March!!!!

11. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    See, If I was into fiber goats I would be all over that lol. Thats Why I have this issue. Im glad iI'm not the only one!

As far as milking, I'm hoping I can buy a milking machine with money earned from the kids Ill be selling. If not then Ill simply lease them out to familys for milk or dry them up after the kids are weaned - Especially those with tiny teats and the dancing goats, I'm sure someone else has the patience to deal with them daily. It would be worth it at the price of milk, goats dont eat much and would even clear land if the leaser wanted.

Another boat I'm in is we decided that if we have owned a goat for years and they have produced kids and milk for us then then they stay for life as a companion. I do have a goat limit, My only rule is I cant over crowd the shelters or pens and I must be able to afford to feed them all with money left over for possible vet bills(thats the easy part). We are planning to build a large barn in the spring though so I will be able to get more as long as we dont retain too many kids.

We could have kids anytime now (maybe Christmas?) to early June, We are trying to decide if we want to breed a few does in February that are currently too small but if we did then I could expect kids as late as July 1-28. late kids are not my favorite thing but I suppose if it gets the does showing and milking life started.

Have a good holiday season everyone :)