The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 255 Posts

·
Goat Crazy!
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good grief. No fun caring for livestock in sub zero (F) weather!

I don't have a real barn, so the girls are getting lots of extra hay and multiple servings of hot water. So far, so good - even Ditza is doing ok with her bald spots.

However, yesterday my daughter got some HOT water for them. A little sloshed on the garage floor on her way out AND "It's so cold that the hot water froze instantly on the garage floor"!!!

Holy Moly!

Now it's your turn. Finish the line "It's so cold that..."

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
"It's so cold that..."

...here in Colorado we wore t-shirts when we took our goats for a drive yesterday. (Sorry guys! But we are hurting big time for moisture if that makes you feel any better.)

View attachment 125529
It's so cold that like Damfino I went on a 2 hour rock climb/hike with my whether (i'll post pics later)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
This is the warmest day I have had in a week. Daytime high of 19! Night low is a whopping 1! Tomorrow is 7/0, Monday is 14/3, Tuesday is 18/7, then a high of 21/7 on Wednesday! (Woot!) Thursday goes back to 12/-6...

This is all of course not taking into account the wind... and the wind chill...

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
As an aside: Did you know that hot water freezes faster than cold and cold water boils faster than hot!
Only under certain conditions. I pour hot water into my troughs on really cold nights and it takes a lot longer for it to freeze so the goats have access to water for more hours (yes, I've measured and when I don't use hot water the trough is often frozen before I'm even done with chores but still steaming if I use hot water). I also find that the ice is much easier to break the next morning if I used hot water the night before. So while hot water freezes faster under certain conditions, it doesn't always work that way in the real world. ;)

I don't know under what conditions cold water boils faster, but I've never seen it in my kitchen!

And back on topic...

"It's so cold..."

I had to plug my diesel truck in one time. :p

1 - 20 of 255 Posts