The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally put 5 of this seasons doelings (we had 7 total) up for sale. Someone already contacted me to buy all 5. See, this is the part that I didn't realize would be so hard... I had no trouble with the kiddings, shots, even disbuddings...but letting these girls go is making me cry just typing it. I wish I could keep them all.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
My wife says this is why she does.not want to breed ours. I feel for you.

Reactions: cristina-sorina

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I like to think of it as "spreading the love". Where would we all be if someone, somewhere had not been willing to sell us their babies? I bought my first goat for $25 and I hadn't a clue what I was doing. No owner in their right mind should have sold me a goat! Yet here we are, and aren't I grateful that someone was willing to take a chance on me! You are allowing other people the opportunity to experience the joy of owning goats, or the chance to expand or improve their herd. Heaven knows it's hard to let go. I still get misty-eyed over a few of the goats I've sold that I particularly loved, especially if I don't know where they are any more. But all I can do is say a little prayer and have faith that they are thriving and bringing as much joy to their owners as they brought to me.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like to think of it as "spreading the love". Where would we all be if someone, somewhere had not been willing to sell us their babies? I bought my first goat for $25 and I hadn't a clue what I was doing. No owner in their right mind should have sold me a goat! Yet here we are, and aren't I grateful that someone was willing to take a chance on me! You are allowing other people the opportunity to experience the joy of owning goats, or the chance to expand or improve their herd. Heaven knows it's hard to let go. I still get misty-eyed over a few of the goats I've sold that I particularly loved, especially if I don't know where they are any more. But all I can do is say a little prayer and have faith that they are thriving and bringing as much joy to their owners as they brought to me.
You're absolutely right, I am grateful the people I got my first goats from sold them to me, they've brought so much joy. I guess I worry about them being mistreated, hopefully the person who gets them will take good care of them.

I have 4 real human kids, this has me thinking what I'll be like when it's time to let THEM go!

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
You're absolutely right, I am grateful the people I got my first goats from sold them to me, they've brought so much joy. I guess I worry about them being mistreated, hopefully the person who gets them will take good care of them.

I have 4 real human kids, this has me thinking what I'll be like when it's time to let THEM go!
We can't dwell on the "what if's". We have to have faith that the people we sell to are good folks who will treat our goats well, and who will also try to be conscientious about buyers if they are eventually faced with selling them.

As for your human kids, if you raise them right then "letting them go" won't mean they're gone from your life like what often happens with our animals. Sure, they'll live somewhere else, but they'll still be around. They'll be grown up and perhaps ready to start their own families, at which point you get to enjoy grandkids!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We can't dwell on the "what if's". We have to have faith that the people we sell to are good folks who will treat our goats well, and who will also try to be conscientious about buyers if they are eventually faced with selling them.

As for your human kids, if you raise them right then "letting them go" won't mean they're gone from your life like what often happens with our animals. Sure, they'll live somewhere else, but they'll still be around. They'll be grown up and perhaps ready to start their own families, at which point you get to enjoy grandkids!
You're absolutely right, on both accounts. Thanks @Damfino

·
Registered
778 Posts
I struggled with this my first year breeding. I ended up selling kids to people I knew the first couple years, after that people I ended up friending after. I still check in with everyone occasionally to see how they are doing and like someone mentioned, you can only hope they take care of them. Unfortunately, I sold 2 does to a friend of a friend who was getting into the breed. Thought she was a good person, ultimately my friend said she had visited the farm and they looked like crap. I hope she was wrong, but I cannot do anything to change it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I struggled with this my first year breeding. I ended up selling kids to people I knew the first couple years, after that people I ended up friending after. I still check in with everyone occasionally to see how they are doing and like someone mentioned, you can only hope they take care of them. Unfortunately, I sold 2 does to a friend of a friend who was getting into the breed. Thought she was a good person, ultimately my friend said she had visited the farm and they looked like crap. I hope she was wrong, but I cannot do anything to change it.
So sorry that happened, that is sad to hear that kind of news.

·
14,726 Posts
I totally understand. We get super attached to our babies.
We have a 4mo doe that we planned to sell about 2 weeks ago, had her listed. But... think we'll keep her for my daughter to show this summer and decide if we'll try to make room to keep her. She's sooo sweet and easy going. She was climbing in my lap and demanding full attention this afternoon, and snuggling - she's nearly 70lbs (Boer) so you can imagine her trying to play in my lap with the 3-5 week old kids lol.
We wanted to buy a new 'show' doe, but darn it, we love our does so much, I don't want to let any of them go. Think we'll just try to match them to good bucks and improve that way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts