The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
14,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That make having goats so much fun :)

I hadn't gotten to spend much time with them the last few days. This afternoon I took the brush and comb out to brush the 3 young does in their pen.
I started brushing one of them, as usual she stood as still as a statue and the other put her nose in the way. So I went to the other side, and she jumped on her buddy trying to get to the brush lol
So I started brushing her, and then her buddy started pulling at my shirt, and putting herself between me and the doe I was brushing. Finally she just got tired of being ignored <like I was 'really' ignoring her lol>, and jumped on me to get the message across!

So then I just walked away from both of them and went to brush the younger doe. She's a 2mo boer bottle baby. She stood still soaking it up.
Then the other 2 older does came over and surrounded her and one of them grabbed the brush :p;)

So I ended up having to brush one with the brush, and the other with the comb at the same time to keep them happy lol! :ROFL:

Finally after brushing them for a while, I walk away again and go back to the bottle baby. The oldest doeling comes between us, and her buddy puts her front feet on her back trying to get her to move out of the way!
Well I was laughing, so the oldest doe still standing in front of me grabs my shirt protesting that I wasn't brushing her!

OMG it was just too funny, and sweet. I'll have to have my son get a video of it tomorrow, haha.

This for me, is what makes having goats so much fun, and so special.

What are those little things that make goats very special to you? :)

·
Super Moderator
59,209 Posts
That is funny. I love to sit out in the goat yard and pet anyone who wants to be pet and watch the babies run around.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
One of the little things is their roles in the herd.

One doe is the guard doe as I call her, always on watch (for what, IDK, nothing here to bother them :p ) and she lays in the door way to the goat shed every night till I go out there to lock them in.
One is the herd queen, one kinda the nanny (she teaches the kids all her naughty tricks!)
And one (along with the nanny) are the dog chasers to make sure they stay away! haha

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Its so funny how much they liked to be brushed! I never had enough hands for all ours when we had the whole herd. The little thing I like is when I call out to the goats Pixie always yells back even when she can't see me. Her little baby voice is so adorable. I have enjoyed my little group of goats a lot more now that we only have 6, more than when we had almost 40!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
What are those little things that make goats very special to you? :)
Summer time is a very busy time around here. We raise hay and there isn't a lot of free time. So when I am able to get home before dark, my favorite thing is to take a 6-pack of beer and go out and sit in the pens. Doesn't matter which pen, they all have their advantages. Their are a number of girls in each pen that will come to me to be petted, and that gets the rest of the girls curiosity up. Pretty soon they are pulling at my shirt, pants, untying shoe laces, and sniffing fingers. I usually make a new friend by the time I go in.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I love watching one of our Alpines when the dog comes around. He's a Pyrenees Anatolian cross, and she can't stand him.:) She's kind of the nanny goat around here; always been very protective of any babies around, even ones that aren't hers. Even if he's just laying outside the fence, she's on patrol the whole time. She won't let him out of her sight, and sometimes she'll put her head down against the fence like she's butting him, and just stay there for a long time, like a warning to him: "don't try anything!" :) it's so funny.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I think my Missy likes to boss my big dog around (he's great dane, pit bull, rotti, etc etc etc mix - i.e. BIG DOG). she comes up on the patio where the dogs hang out like she owns it. he tried to sniff her a few times, and she decided she wanted to play. she tried rearing up to head butt him, but when he didn't do the same, she would go up to him, get her head right under his face, jerk her head up and to poke him in the chin with her horn. he HATES it. bakes up and runs away like a baby. he doesn't go near her or the other goats anymore. hehehe.

now, he gets so sad when she goes on the patio...gives me the "why must you let this thing on here" look.

love goats. I won't be home until LATE tonight, so I may not see my goaties until tomorrow morning. i'm kind of sad about that.....

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Do you share your beer with the goats? Mine LOVE Guinness!
I never have before because I was afraid it would make them sick but, having read goathiker's post on beer and rumen activity, I just might share!

·
14,615 Posts
A trick I learned from expert goat person was flat dark beer after kidding really does help rumen function. Also strong alfalfa tea.

I like to go out, sit down & call out "Who's my favorite?" Most of the time they ignore me.:rolleyes:
But a pan of minerals? They have a heirchy on that.
One of the %s always gets in there even when she's had plenty.
Its gotten so I grunt & bob my head when she tries to hog in. Sometimes I have to yank her ear. She's getting better.

Hoosier yours would make a great video!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts