It's time, but vets closed, pls help.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Oreosmom, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Oreosmom

Oreosmom mom of 2 little goats and 2 wonderful dogs / indoo

Nov 18, 2016
    So. Oregon
    OMG.. My. Poor Oreo, ok . Just got home and checked in on Oreo, she's suffering. She saw me and let out the loudest cry. Can't get up panting with mouth open, I moved her from where she soiled herself. Vet out of town, called around can't find anyplace to take her in. I can't cut her throat, or shoot her. Wish I could, she's suffering. What can I give her so she just goes to sleep. I have Xanax, hydrocodone 100, her meloxicam. Metformin, and other human meds. If any one knows of a kind way . Please let me know.. my poor girl.. please help..!!!

Iluvlilly! and Trollmor like this.
  2. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Oh my. What a horrible situation. I don't have much experience with human meds, but I feel like at this point there is not much you could possibly do to make Oreo's situation worse. It sounds like my horse's last day before we could put her down. She was sloughing her hooves and was in so much pain, so I gave her a TON of Bute during the last 24 hours, knowing that stomach ulcers were the least of my concerns. It got her through the last day and she actually felt relatively good to the point that I felt worse about putting her down, but I also knew in my head that the only reason she felt relatively "well" was because I'd given her a dangerous level of medicine.

So while I don't have any advice on which meds would be best, I think it would be safe to say that if you can just make her as comfortable as possible for the night, you don't need to worry about the side effects since there will be no aftercare or recovery to deal with. I would recommend large doses of Banamine or Bute if you had them but I'm guessing you do not. She is a mammal, so it's usually a safe bet that whatever works in humans will work similarly in a goat.

I'm so sorry it's ending this way. Watching our dear pets suffer is one of the hardest things to go through. I know you'll be sitting up with her and giving her all the love and comfort you can. Icing her joints may relieve the pain enough to get her through the night. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hopefully someone else can give advice as to which med(s) might work best.

Trollmor likes this.

3. Oreosmom

Nov 18, 2016
    So. Oregon
    She's still eating so I gave her 3 meloxicam and 3 gabapentin, going to give her a hydrocodone after she eats. I have them left over from when I broke my leg last year. I was reading most rx that goats get are 3x stronger then a dog same weight. They digest different with those stomachs. I've been crying my eyes out. She was doing so well. I really thought we had more time. All she wants to do is have her head in my lap, poor thing .

Trollmor likes this.
  4. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Do you have tramadol?

Oreosmom and Trollmor like this.
  5. Oreosmom

Nov 18, 2016
    So. Oregon
    No, or ultram either. She's tucked her head to her side for now, and is sleeping. Her breathing eased up when I was loving on her. Can a goat hyperventilate?? I got all her snacks right here. I had to change her bedding, since she couldn't get up she's partied in her bed. She'd never do that unless she had no choice.

Trollmor likes this.
  6. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    And not being able to remember any good gunner you can trust? Remember to ask for a bullet in the back of her head, "Between eyes and ears". No cutting in a conscious goat!

Oh, how I wish I was there with my humane killer! I would be able to do it with her still sleeping in your lap! DEAR OREO!!!!

Oreosmom likes this.
  7. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    But I guess goats can hyperventilate, though of course OREO would not do it for no reason.

Oreosmom likes this.
  8. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Hopefully this posts everything is messed up.
    The tylenol in hydrocodone can cause a messy hard death. One might be okay if they're the new ones.

Oreosmom and Trollmor like this.
  9. Oreosmom

Nov 18, 2016
    So. Oregon
    I've got a gun, actually several of them. Here in Oregon you have to register and lisc. yr dogs but not yr guns. No sales tax, but you can't pump yr own gas, you can be arrested if you exit yr car at the pump island. If she starts screaming I will take care of it. I just didn't want to have my last memory of her like that. I had just picked her up a new box of shredded wheat, that after she calmed down, I showed her the box while mixing it with her grain, well there's less then half left. I'm thinking last time I mixed her gabapentin and meloxicam it made her very drowsy, I thought she was going to fall asleep in her water. I'm hoping it might do that again. I've filled her bucket with fresh water.. leaving options open. It's going to be a long night. Thanks for yr ideas.. I'll keep you posted as we go.

Trollmor likes this.
  10. Oreosmom

Nov 18, 2016
    So. Oregon
    I think she was freaking out because she couldn't get up. And she had soiled her self and her bed. I had been gone several hours and the sun went down, it was the time we usually get up and do things. I was late and her right leg is frozen up the last few days, she hasn't been able to straighten it. Not being able to get up probably scared her. She would get herself up and move from her sleeping area to go potty. So not being able to do that all day probably had her scared and stressed to start with.

Trollmor likes this.
  11. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    It seems to me that you are doing, and have been doing an excellent job in comforting her! (clap) She trusts you and wants your company.

And this far away, I also love her, not even having seen her on more than one photo, I think. But your descriptions of her behaviour, so nice, so well behaving, so kind. :inlove:

Oreosmom likes this.
  12. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

@Oreosmom I'm so sorry. I understand your shock and grief of thinking you had more time. It is an extra layer of something having been stolen away.

How is she now? Still calm?

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    What is her temp?

Did she get into toxins?

Get snake bit?

Check for swelling and marks.

Is she circling? Going to one side?
    Head to flank all the time?
    Eye's darting?

Tetanus? stiff?

How old is this goat?

Fecal for cocci and worms.

How is the inner lower eyelid coloring?

The goat needs a vet ASAP.
    I would around to other vets.

Oreosmom and happybleats like this.
  14. Trollmor

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    @toth boer goats, this goat Oreo is dying from CAE. Her owner is doing everything to make Oreo's last time in live as good as possible.

15. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    So sorry you have to go through this. We are all crying along with you. Oreo has had a wonderful life with you and no matter how sad you are, try and remember the good times......(console)

Trollmor and Oreosmom like this.
  16. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

I'm hoping both of you are more at peace now.

Trollmor and Oreosmom like this.
  17. Oreosmom

Nov 18, 2016
    So. Oregon
    Oreo's life ended about 12:30 this afternoon. I held her while the vet gave her the shots. She was very alert, but calm. Munching her last bite size shredded wheat while getting a pain shot to make the transition easier. Her little life slid away very peacefully. I sat there awhile with her, stroking her face thanking her for coming into my life and promising her she'd not have any more pain, and I'd take care of Fetamae and love her as much as I can. (I left hubby at home to take of Fetamae who was already calling for as we left the driveway)
    As I got in my truck the radio started playing 'She talks to Angels' by Black Crows. I didn't even know the radio was on, I don't remember hearing it on the way out to the Vets.
    Thank you all so much for your support, tears, thoughts and prayers. I love my little ones as much as my big ones. Their love for us is unconditional. When we take them on it is our duty to do our best for them. We become their stewards in life to help them live the best they can. I hope she knows I did my best for her, My little girl.

Goodbye my sweet sweet Oreo, you will always have a place in my heart.

18. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    The greatest gifts we give them is letting them go when life here is too hard. ((hugs))

19. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Oh, she absolutely knows, and she's in heaven thanking you for it. I'm so sorry for your loss. Sometimes the right thing to do is also the hardest thing to do. I hope little Fetamae lives a long, happy, healthy life and brings you much joy and fond memories of her mother. Oreo's body may be gone but her spirit lives forever, and look at what abundance you gave each other in her short time! Your devotion is an inspiration to all who love animals.