I've been bitten........

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by goathappy, Aug 20, 2009.

1. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    .......by the horse bug :oops: Its the one thing I thought I'd never say, lol

For the past three months I've been giving a friend of mine piano lessons in exchange for her teaching me how to train and ride horses. She has Arabians and they are just the most beautiful animals I have ever seen and worked with :love: Its so mesmerizing to learn horse behavior and how they think and act. The horse I'm working with now is a 5 or 6 year old(I think?) sabino mare, she's very right brained so I really don't want to ride her but I'm having so much fun with the ground training and its fun to see the progress I make with her every week. :)

So here's the thing: I would love to have a horse but my dad won't let me :cry: I would love to get a Haflinger or an Arabian but I know that when I go to college in a few years nobody would be here to work with it and I really don't have a steady enough income to support a horse right now. :sigh:

So in the mean time, I'm learning about training horses, but I think if I go to vet school I want to specialize in caprine and equine medicines and hopefully after college I can get a horse.

I can always dream I guess :)

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I always wanted a horse and I knew at some point I would but I never imagined it would be this soon. I got my first horse in June of this year :horse:

Having a love for something will make you good at what you are studying

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is wonderful.... that you are able to learn horses....they are beautiful and do calm you... if they are behaving ....LOL :D ...When I was growing up... I had a friend with horses and was able to go riding ...what a blast.....I always dreamed of having a horse to call my own, but we lived in town... when I grew up and had my own place... I was then able to... buy a place with acres and got me ...a horse....so dreams can come true...but some take longer than others.... :wink: :greengrin:

4. Riot_My_Love

Riot_My_Love New Member

I have 4 horses... we get but by maye flies and horseflies daily. Hurts dont it? lol

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

once youre bitten its always going to be there sarah! I have been a horse nut sinse i was a littlegirl thats how i actually got into goats. My mom always told me i was born into the wrong family as she and my dad are terrified of them. My aunt is the horse nut here.
    Have you ever thought about leasing one? that may be a good option for you to learn and get the experience of owning without actually owning one.
    beth

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Beth, my mom is the same way, she fell off a horse when she was my age and has been terrified of them ever since.

I have thought about leasing, but the thing is I really don't know many horse people around here. I would love to be able to work with a horse daily instead of weekly, but I'm just going to have to wait until after college when I get a place of my own and have a lot more time to devote to a horse.