I've got a milk ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by keren, Nov 3, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Okay, so I posted this in the kidding koral also, but I thought there might be some milk gurus hiding around here.

I have four does whose pregnancy status I am unsure of. I did think they were all four empty. But, of the four,

Maddie and Ellie are filling in the udder noticeably and produce a liquid which looks just like milk but tastes salty
    Cheryl doesnt have visible udder changes and produces just a clear liquid like water.
    Lucky doesnt have visible udder changes but produces a sticky, thick liquid similar in consistency to colostrum, but it is opaque and light tan in colour.

So my question being (actually a couple of questions):

a) Does this tell me anything about the pregnancy status of these does?
    b) Is it normal for a completely dry animal (by that I mean not lactating, not pregnant) to have stuff in the udder? All four of these does have been completely dry (no kids suckling, not joined and not milked) for over two years.

Your thoughts?

I'm udderly confused.

2. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    It is possible for them to make an udder without being bred. It's called a precocious udder...best just to leave it alone and not worry about milking them out.

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Sorry Bethany I should have clarified. 3 of the 4 are Angora does, and while I have heard of precocious udders, I have NEVER heard of it in anything other than a dairy doe. The 3 angoras were intentionally joined, but to a buck whose fertility is questionable. They were his test group. I did think that they were empty and he was infertile but now :shrug: I do need to get a positive or negative on these does eventually, because the fate of the buck depends on it.

The 4th doe (Maddie) is my dairy doe. She wasnt intentionally joined but there was an incident where she may have been joined.

4. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Hmmm that's interesting. I'd say it's possible they could be preggo, how far along would they be?

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    They were joined mid August.

Will try to find the camera to take pics, but I'm not sure if I can find it. I think I may have left it at a show :(

6. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Well, if they were bred then I would be expecting them to be making udders about now. So maybe they are. Only way to know for sure is to pull blood and send in for a pregnancy test. Although being in Australia, I don't know if you are able to do that.

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Farmgirl, its not the main way we do it (mainly we ultrasound) but I think it can be done. I will have to talk to my vet - if he can get me the vacu tubes and the needles I can take the bloods and drop them in for him. That way I dont have to pay consultation.

We did scan them tonight and Ellie, Cheryl and Lucky all scanned pregnant. Maddie was a maybe. The angora three are due in January, so its gonna be a long couple of months ...

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Now that you know they are pregnant I wouldnt milk them, can cause bacteria to build up in the udder. Best to leave them alone to produce the colostrum and get ready for kidding.