I've got a problem

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Aug 10, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I have created a monster.

Effie will only sleep when she is on my lap or in my bed.

When I put her down she will scream and scream and scream. And wont lay down to sleep.

:sigh: I know this is a kinda funny problem to have but seriously its a huge problem for me.

Much as I'd love to have her as a house kid, I CANT. Particularly cos I'm moving.

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh no!...not the crying!! That can get so overwhelming! I have no solutions, but I sure hope you can figure something out.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    put her outside and cover the cage (if you have a cage) with something dark. Preferably far from the house so you can hear her screams. She will get over it soon enough and bed down and sleep.

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    see, normally I would do just that. But she's still sick, and cant control her muscles, and because she wont lie down she is thrashing about in the cage and hurting herself

:/

5. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    I do not see any simple solution ... once a goat learns that screams work for what they want they use them. You might want to corral her somewhere that she can not hurt herself and let her scream. I once had a poled goat that would scream for feed ..it got so bad that I had the vet cut the vocal cord so he would not scream, he was sweet otherwise and I could not give him away as he would scream with anyone. Good luck as this is a tough one.

6. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    How big is she and how hard is she thrashing around when you put her down? If she is not that big - I would try taking towels and blankets and use them to prop her up in the position she needs to be in. This way if she starts to throw a tantrum she is just knocking the towels and blankets and not hurting herself. If I have to bring a kid in a try to give them their "go to bed spot" which with young kids is a small laundry basket then I up grade them to a plastic box (with out a lid lols) - I feel goats do a little better since they get to see out (but when they are strong enough or big enough - they jump out lols)

Hopefully by the time they need a crate - they are strong enough to go back outside in a stall or small pen till I am sure they are 100%. I hate putting a goat in a crate since I do not feel it is airy enough - but I have in the past and just keep it really clean - but on the other hand - goats running around the house getting into trouble is not good either.

I think one solution would be to give her a "padded cell" using towels and blankets to proper her up and along the sides so if she does hit her head it is padded and she should not get hurt. If you could put her some place in your home that you could keep track of her but she could not see you it may help her to settle down and go to sleep (you may have already tried this though!). But I have had some it was better to have them right next to me and they have settled down and gone to sleep and I would sneak off to do what I needed to get done.

Oh - if the screaming bothers you or hurts your ears (they can have lungs on them!) - do you have ear plugs?

Just some ideas.

7. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    Mully - I think it would depend on his voice if it would bother me or not lols - I bet he had one of those ear piercing ones - we have been pretty lucky in the goat voice department.

8. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Maybe if you put her in a kennel and put the kennel on a table next to your bed - so she can see you - she might settle down and go to sleep? It could be that she can't see you when on the floor and being alone terrifies most goats..... just a thought

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    This is the sister to the baby you lost right?

I know that you are scared that she's not out of the woods yet, but with going about the neccessary things in your day it can be difficult if you carry her....just a thot here, have you tried to swaddle her? Wrap her up in a towel so that she can't thrash about, maybe even make a sling of sorts to carry her so that your hands are free. :hug:

10. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    Both great ideas Liz - I have done both too in the past - I can't believe I did not remember it! Having a sling works great and they will go to sleep in it - I will warn you that it can bother you shoulder after awhile depending on big the kid is lols. What is really nice about this is that the kid is happy and she is with you so you know right away if she is in distress - but you get to carry on with everyday life.

What a great idea Liz!

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thanks :hug: I figure that mommy's do it with human babies, can't be much harder for a baby goat :wink:

12. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    all great ideas :)

I started off swaddling her like a baby - it stopped the thrashing, then I propped her up with towels and she went off to sleep. So that was good. But then, she got a bit better and stronger and wouldnt stay wrapped - and I'm pretty good at wrapping lol I've got 6 nephews I've had a loooooooot of practice.

So she wouldnt stay wrapped but she wasnt coordinated to sit down either, she physically couldnt control her limbs enough to sit down, which was causing huge problems. She would fall over when she tried to sit down, which doesnt sound bad except she almost smothered herself twice - she tried to lay down and got her head curled up underneath her body and couldnt get up again - thank god I was supervising her.

So thats why yesterday I was holding her, to get her to sleep. Poor tacker was so tired she'd just flake when I picked her up.

But anyway, I'm rambling. I found a solution, sort of. She is in one of these:

[​IMG]

Best invention ever, I reckon. I've got several of all different sizes, funny thing is I dont own a dog.

Anyway, I put her in the crate next to my bed last night and she slept all night without screaming and waking anyone up, thank goodness. And she is now coordinated enough to sit herself down, which is great. So basically now that everyone is awake, I've put her in the cage and left her, she is settling down eventually after screaming for a while. Which is normally what I'd do but yeah, before when she didnt have control of all her muscles it was dangerous.

Soooo, its all good now :thumb:

On a side note, Mully, could you tell me more about the operation to sever the vocal chords? How the goat recovered, how extensive/invasive the surgery is, etc. Its just that, I have a wether here that I am training to go in harness, and the lady who owns him lives in Melbourne (6 hrs away, capital city of Victoria) and she has problems with him being noisy and disrupting the neighbours, since she lives basically in the city suburbs. He is hands down, the NOISIEST goat I have ever heard. Its a real problem for her, but he's a beautiful boy and she doesnt want to get rid of him. She might be interested in this option. I have tried various correction methods to get him to stop, none of which have worked.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yahoo.. :leap: ..I am glad ....you found a solution....... :thumbup: congrats... :greengrin:

14. Good job I love these crates too.