The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just can't believe it! After the death of my beloved Irish/English Setter Molly a few years ago, I looked around for another dog. I've looked off and on ever since, but the right one has never turned up. BUT, finally, I have another dog!

First, a picture of Molly because she is so special to me. :)

And here's Amanda. She's a German/Australian Shepherd (presumably), very shy, and beautiful. I want to scream, I'm so happy! I just know we'll be best friends.
Photo credit goes to Amanda's previous owner.

Attachments

·
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! Sylvie, she's 4 months. (I love your username by the way - so much that I named this year's only doeling Sylvia, and call her Sylvie or Sylph for short!)

·
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She is very very shy! She would hardly even lift her head yesterday (she's lived in an apartment all her life, had never ridden in a car before yesterday, and is shy of strangers at the best of times), but she's warmed up just a little. I brought her out to see the animals. Had to carry her; when I put her on a leash she just drops down in submission.
I think she liked the animals. She brightened up a lot, and even did some sniffing around. I think she wanted to go in with the animals, but I wouldn't let her. Not because I'm afraid she'll hurt them - because I'm afraid they'll hurt her!
I love it how she looks straight at me when I talk. Not in a challenging way, but in an intelligent way. :love: Molly, scatterbrain that she was, never did that.

·
Registered
31,500 Posts
Shes beautiful ...congrats

·
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Playing with Arthur! She loves Arthur. She likes Charlie too, but he seems to be making friends slower than Arthur.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Soo cute! Australian shepherds are my favorite! And we had a German shepherd for a while, she was Awesome!! Very excited for you!:)

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
985 Posts
SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love her coloring, and her face, and her ears, and all of her!!!!!!! :love: Congratulations on the new pup!

·
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NDlover, Aussies are my favorite too (alongside GPs, though our family has never had a GP). Already she looks like she has the makings of a good farm dog.
MoKa, same here! :love:

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
NDlover, Aussies are my favorite too (alongside GPs, though our family has never had a GP). Already she looks like she has the makings of a good farm dog.
MoKa, same here! :love:
Meaning Great Pryenees? We've had a purebred female, and now have a Pryenees/Anatolian cross male. She was the sweetest thing, but barked ALL night no matter what! She seriously NEVER shut up, so we had to get rid of her- she was dring my dad crazy; it was very sad.
And the male we have now is the LAZIEST thing in the world!:rolleyes: He lays around all day and he's not much of a guard dog either! And confidentially, he's extremely stupid.:rolleyes: His real name is Beowulf, but he has many nicknames: Dumkoff, Stupid, Dummy, Dunderhead, Dunderfoot (He's alway underfoot) Idiot, Buddy, Beo.. He doesn't know or care that he's being insulted (albeit lovingly) he'll answer to anything- if he feels like it, lol! He's not really trained.

·
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I meant Great Pyrenees. :) We can't have one here because yes, as I've heard they tend to bark a lot. I know that would annoy the neighbors.
Beowulf sounds like a funny dog to have around, but not a very useful one, LOL!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Yes, I meant Great Pyrenees. :) We can't have one here because yes, as I've heard they tend to bark a lot. I know that would annoy the neighbors.
Beowulf sounds like a funny dog to have around, but not a very useful one, LOL!
No, he's not that useful, lol! He will bark at anyone that drives or walks up (including us ;) ) , but then he'll go up to them wagging his tail to say hi. :)
I'll be watching this thread to see more pics of your new puppy as she settles in! :)

·
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Amanda is doing great! She follows me around like Mary's Little Lamb, and she's gotten used to most of the family. She's still afraid of my brothers - we'll have to work on that!
I'm also getting her used to the animals and teaching her not the chase them. She learns fast and is SO sweet! I never have to punish her; when she starts to chase I just call her name, stare at her, and growl a teeny bit, and she instantly stops. She rarely makes the same mistake twice (but it may be partly because I watch her so closely). She's bright and very teachable! I certainly won't trust her alone with the animals for quite a while yet, but I'm really happy with her learning!
She's also getting along very well with the other dogs. Arthur, though, seems a little jealous of his space and doesn't like her to get near him when he is lying down.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts