The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it isn't one thing it is another.

Now that Hans is on the road to recovery it seems I now have a new issue. Sweet peas kids are taking all the milk so there is NOTHING for Kitten! :angry:

Poor Kitten is not herself tonight. So she is going cold turkey! I tried the bowl idea, she just lets me hold her nose in and doesn't do anything :sigh: but I will keep that up.

She did get some milk from Aspen so she isnt' starved but is rather hungry I can tell.

I tried Prestos bottle and she didnt' scream her head off and mouthed the bottle --- no big hopes up yet on this though.

So pray please! really hard that she gets the idea of one of these. I need to get milk into her

I am counting on your prayers my prayers and Kittens stubborn nature to not starve to get us over this hump.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Stacey, have you milked Destiny at all? I know she's got a smaller udder but with a single kid she would still supply for the demand if you were taking also...I would try to be more persistant with the bottle too, if she is mouthing it a bit she'll take it if she's hungry enough. I know you don't want to compromise her in any way but if it's the only choice you have I would go for it. It may also be a good idea to get her transitioned to regular milk using what goat milk you have especially if it will be in short supply.....boy if only I could get some to you! I have 10 gallons in the freezer!

Sending prayers your way for Kitten and the hopes that her momma starts to produce more :pray: :hug:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I know it must be hard right now. I think at one time or another we have all been there done that. That is what is so wonderful about having our goat friends. We all understand. :grouphug:

I think at this point if it were me I would just pull her cold turkey like you said and put her on whole cows milk and start looking for a home for her if you are selling her.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
she actually has a home already! and they are willing/wanting to take her as a bottle baby but understand if she has to stay on her mom till the end of July. They are really close to me too - right aroudn the corner from my work actually.

So wish me tons of luck and blessings I am heading out there now to try the bottle :pray:

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I caved! But it was a mutual decision made by my mom and myself. She was getting so weak from not eating that it wasn't good.

So I held Sweet pea then wrestled Aspen and then Wrestled Destiny so she got some but not a whole lot. I put the 4 kids in the kidding stall and Kitten will get a chance ot nurse first thing in the morning and then I will milk them out. This will help them produce more

1 - 7 of 7 Posts