The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, help me out.

I'm a little nervous about giving shots. I do all the other chores all the time; I'm the main goat caregiver, I guess. I trim hooves, tote hay and feed bags, scrub water troughs, brush, clip, give baths, drench, assist births, deworm, everything-except give shots (at least so far) my dad has always done it, but only if he HAS to.
I need to know how for emergencies, and I'd like to be able to give the occasional B shot or thiamine, or even injectable wormer, without freaking out or hurting my goats.
Right now I'm facing giving our whole herd (ten goats) their first CD&T shots. (At least it's a first for us):)
I want to know if this is no big deal to you more experienced people, or do I need to learn gradually?
I can get my brother to help me hold them, he's pretty strong ;) and of course I could put them in the milk stand as well, but I'd like some advice. :D

·
Registered
436 Posts
I do mine by the "armpit" a lot of extra skin there! I straddled pinch up the skin and stick in the needle I usually do them subq ( which means under the skin not in the muscle). Once I have the needle in I draw back to make sure there is no blood (like I hit a vain by accident) and then push the meds on in. 15 seconds max. Just make sure to switch out needles between goats. I sometimes will use the same Syringe and just change out needles

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm. Wonder why he said that? I guess with cows and horses it doesnt matter as much? Cause I think that's what he deals with mostly.

·
Registered
436 Posts
You "could" but it promotes disease spread would you want to have the same needle that was used on your kid used on you? Plus needles loose their sharp after a use and it starts to hurt more and more

Sent from my iPhone using GoatSpot

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard that sometimes the goats will scream and or thrash around a lot when you give the shot. That would be rather unnerving to me, does it happen often?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks againI'm not going to rush into this right away.
I'd like to hear different perspectives of giving shots before I dive in.
I d not want to be nervous when I go to do it.
Appreciate your input!

·
HaileyBailey
382 Posts
If you want to get the feel for it, practice sticking on an orange a time or two. It's very similar in feel. Needles dull with each stick and the spread of disease is possible as well so I would change out after each injection also. I have better control on the stand if they get squirmy. Don't worry. It's easier than you think!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want to get the feel for it, practice sticking on an orange a time or two. It's very similar in feel. Needles dull with each stick and the spread of disease is possible as well so I would change out after each injection also. I have better control on the stand if they get squirmy. Don't worry. It's easier than you think!
I was hoping someone would say that!
My dad gave my ND buck a shot not long ago, and he Sid it felt like sticking a needle into a football! Lol, I guess the boys have thicker skin?

·
8,071 Posts
Practice on a stuffed animal, too! Oranges and stuffed animals don't holler much! :)
You will get better as you practice. Just make sure, when you give the goat kid the CD+T that the needle goes under
the skin and not through it, or you will shoot it out the other side!

Make a tent and stick the needle in. You will feel when it goes all the way under the skin. (Don't shove into the muscle).
New needles on each kid- they are pretty cheap- no sense inviting infections and contamination. Always put a new needle
into the bottle.

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
Hmmm. Wonder why he said that? I guess with cows and horses it doesnt matter as much? Cause I think that's what he deals with mostly.
Yea, every animal should have a new sterile syringe and needle for each different injection. Doesn't matter if they are a horses, cattle, goats, dogs, etc. People do reuse needles, but that is very poor practice. They see it as a money saving move. But I personally cringe at the thought.

Reusing a needle can spread infection. Think about all the batcteria that just live on skin as normal flora. They don't cause infection on the skin. But if they ride along on the tip of a needle deep into the skin/muscle, boom, infection at the injection site. Also, a needle becomes markedly more dull even after just one more use. That means it takes more force to get the needle into the skin, if it is used again.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I don't know about cows but with horses you should always change the needle. :)

I give mine on their hind leg where there is a lot of muscle. That's where my vet taught me to put it. Sometimes they thrash a little but they never scream. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone! I was a little surprised that he said to reuse needles; we had always used separate ones before. So I guess just throw it away once you've used it?

·
376 Posts
My vet told me to reuse the needles too! I thought that was crazy!!! He only gave me enough needles that I had to use the same needle 2 times. I did it but I hated the thought of it. So far I have only had to give shots to one goat four days in a row. (He did the first one)

If anything ever makes me give up goats... it would be giving shots and hoof trimming!

For the shots, I had my husband hold her, but him not being an animal person, didn't do a very good job holding. I stuck myself in the thumb with the used needle once too! The goat and I both survived however! lol

Also, I watched the videos on Youtube on giving shots... young children were doing it with no problem! I felt like such a wimp!!!! They were giving in the armpit also on the video... but my vet told me to give in the neck.. he'd never given them in the armpit so he couldn't tell me how that worked. But he had this look on his face that made me go 'ok in the neck". I think I could have managed to do it alone if I had done them in the armpit.

It would be so wonderful to have experienced goat people all around me to learn such tasks, but nope... I'm here on my little island of NON goat people! Well, if they are around here... they are hiding!

·
I'm watching you
22,153 Posts
For cows they are often running them through a squeeze chute and using a dose gun instead of a syringe so, yeah they use the needle 'til it gets real dull and then change it out.

If you happen to pull blood back into the syringe, it's good idea to change it out before the next animal and throw it away. Many diseases including CAE can be spread by contaminated syringes.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't think we have any oranges right now, but I'm sure I can find a few stuffed animals! :) ill be working on it!Thanks

1 - 20 of 43 Posts