The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. yesterday I was brushing and checking the girls and I found lice on one of my obers! GROSS!!!! I have google searched images and determined it is a 'biting lice'. I saw two so I assume there are more!

I have 1% ivermectin injectable for cattle on hand. I've given it orally in the past at 1cc per 50lbs for internal parasites. Will this method also kill lice or do I need to inject it SQ? I know it hurts to inject so was hoping to give orally!

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
It doesn't work as well orally. Takes much longer to get rid of them. Plus the oral dosage you give won't touch it. Most people give 1cc per 30 lbs.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, so what is the dosage for giving it SQ? I could be remembering the dosage wrong too! I have it wrote down at home.. whatever it was it worked for intestinal parasites.

Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the same problem and was told to get Ivermectin pour on for cattle but cant find it anywhere. I can only find the Normectin which I think is the generic brand? Should be fine right?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the same problem and was told to get Ivermectin pour on for cattle but cant find it anywhere. I can only find the Normectin which I think is the generic brand? Should be fine right?
I don't have any experience with the pour on version but I bought the Normectin injectable and it worked great for internal parasites! This will be my first time treating lice so we'll see.. hate I have to give them a painful injection though. But also hate to buy another product when I already have one that should work!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't have any experience with the pour on version but I bought the Normectin injectable and it worked great for internal parasites! This will be my first time treating lice so we'll see.. hate I have to give them a painful injection though. But also hate to buy another product when I already have one that should work!
Check out my whole conversation under management. I learned a lot about treating for internal stuff that might not be needed. This is where I was told about the poor on too.

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
I agree..oral wont work well if at all. Cylence is a good product for lice and has worked well here for us. 1 cc per 25# down the top line, repeat in 3 weeks. Vet RX has also been mentioned, used down the top line as well. Also include fresh raw garlic to their daily intake to help prevent lice or lessen their visits : )

Reactions: BethJ

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You can also try using UltraBoss or Cylence pour-ons as a treatment and preventative for lice, mosquitoes, flies, etc. It’s easy to use and effective. It was recommended by our vet.

We try to not use ivermectin injectable unless we have a severe case of mites, since it will contribute to intestinal worm resistance.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
We try to not use ivermectin injectable unless we have a severe case of mites, since it will contribute to intestinal worm resistance.
Yes!!! I fully believe that between using it just for lice and under dosing the pour on since it's only being used for external parasites is why ivermectin is not working so well for internal parasites for a lot of people. Of course no science and data behind my thinking, just my thinking ;)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for the advice! I forgot to add, I also have a possibly pregnant doe! Are all of these pour on products safe for pregnant does? She was bred at the end of Oct but pregnancy has not been confirmed.

I did not see lice on her but I was really planning to just treat all of them unless you think that's a bad idea. I know with worms it's best to treat individually as needed.. but am I correct in assuming that if one has lice they all have them?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Lice are nasty! Be careful, they'll bite you too .

My vet recommended making a 10% permectrin solution ; You can get the concentrate at your farm store, put it in a labeled spray bottle with water , and apply to their backs liberally. Repeat in 5 days. You can do the treatment as needed

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree..oral wont work well if at all. Cylence is a good product for lice and has worked well here for us. 1 cc per 25# down the top line, repeat in 3 weeks. Vet RX has also been mentioned, used down the top line as well. Also include fresh raw garlic to their daily intake to help prevent lice or lessen their visits : )
How much garlic? I will do this for sure? Do they like it or do you have to mince it up? I give mine apple cider vinegar too, they LOVE IT!

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Thank you all for the advice! I forgot to add, I also have a possibly pregnant doe! Are all of these pour on products safe for pregnant does? She was bred at the end of Oct but pregnancy has not been confirmed.

I did not see lice on her but I was really planning to just treat all of them unless you think that's a bad idea. I know with worms it's best to treat individually as needed.. but am I correct in assuming that if one has lice they all have them?
I sent you a fb message. :). Ivermectin is safe for her but not the ivermax. And you will just love me for this one but here goes...... clean out their pens good. :(. The crawlies are most likely in their bedding too. Ick. It is SUCH a pain when they get them! It is this dumb weather we are havin!

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
How much garlic? I will do this for sure? Do they like it or do you have to mince it up? I give mine apple cider vinegar too, they LOVE IT!
Mine are used to garlic so I feed fresh raw whole cloves free choice. But as mentioned before in another post on garlic, the chewing or crushing is what releases the benefits. Another way I like to feed it if I need a goat or two to have it and want to be sure they get it is make a paste of fresh raw garlic and Ex Virgin olive oil...blend to make a paste and feed a teaspoon or more daily. Make fresh daily for full benefits.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts