ivermectin pour on

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Jan 15, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    is ivermectin pour on safe for pregnant goats and if so how do you give it, orally or along the back, thanks

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have heard form several breeders never pour on the ivermectin because it burns their skin I do not know first hand because it would ruin the fiber. I would use the Ivermectin 1% cattle injection. and just use it orally. It should be 1cc for 30 pounds.

3. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Sixshooter what are you wanting to use the ivomec pour on for? external parasites or internal? Ivomec is safe for pregnant does. I am not sure about giving the pour on orally as it has a carrier in it to make it a pour on. I only know the pour on as a pour on dose and that is triple the cattle dose. It does not burn them or they would have let me know. They do not even act as if I did anything when I have used it. If you are trying to rid internal parasites I would use Ivomec injectable orally and if you are looking at mites then the pour on poured on is the way I use it.

4. ilroost

ilroost New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    weldon,il
    i have always used the pour on and have had good luck with it. If it burns them then they have not really showed any sign of it.

5. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Thanks guys, Ok so I used it on them and it has been a couple of days and they seem to be perfectly fine. No burning just a little blue line across their back were I put the pour on lol. They seemed fine, they have no more lice wich is wonderful to see something finally work!!! I have powedered a powdered and nothing has worked!!! This stuff, I swear the lice and mites were gone within an hour, couldent beleive it. My next question is, how well does it work with internal parasites?

6. luvmygoats

luvmygoats Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    Can't tell you for sure how the pour on works with goats but we have been using it for years on our chickens and it works great. Gets rid of most internal and external parasites. Most except tape worm that is. We use the ivomec injectabel for our goats though.
    Thought it was interesting that last fall when our dog developed a case of sarcoptic mange, that the vet prescirbed ivomec injectable. We gave him an injection every two weeks, three shots total and it took care of the mange very well.

Gina

7. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Sixshooter do fecals and see how it works for internal, for me when I used it their eyelids were finally red but I really think the mites were keeping the lids a pale pink. It amazes me at how quick any parasite seems to make the lids pale. Mine were pale and they had cocci in their stool when I did fecals and after 5 days of sulmet their lids were red again.

I am glad you went ahead and did the pour on as a pour on. For me it was a blessing. I was so tired of my goats scratching and the sevens dust was doing nothing for them and giving the ivomec orally and sub-q did nothing. Just be sure to do this again in 2 weeks to kill what hatches.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am going to move this to 101 because it has some great information we don't want lost.

9. deenak

deenak Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    One of my goats has lice Do I pour this on her according to weight or give it to her orally? Should I treat the rest of the group? They all sleep in the same barn.

10. Danielle

Danielle New Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern New Mexico
    Hey guys,

I have a question that I am hoping you can all help me with :D
    In my quest for dewormers that are actually affective on lice, I've come across Ivomec pour-on for cattle. Seems like most have had very good results where lice are concerned. However, it has come to my attention that it may or may not work on Internal parasites.

Here is what I found...
    Ivermectin Pour-On for Cattle
    NOTE from Administrator: This is a cattle product but is commonly used on goats as Off Label- we use it at the rate of 1cc/20lbs in a syringe with no needle dribbles along the back line from neck to tail- directly on the skin for the control and effective removal of Biting lice and other external parasites. Even though this is also a dewormer, it is not effective as a dewormer on goats- Only as an external parasite control- you still need to deworm your goats for internal parasites. Ivermectin pour-on is the only effective parasite control I have seen that effectively rids the goat of Biting lice- This is equal to Ivomec PourOn.

Is the above statement true? Does anyone know why this product would work as an internal pesticide in cattle and not goats?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks a lot guys!

-Danielle (AKA: Wild Goat Woman)

11. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    My Vet seemed to think it would help with both internal and external parasites. We used it in Nov, and will be retreating with it after everyone kids. I like that it is easy to give 'em even the ones that run from me just tip it and they get dosed as they go.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    from what I hear from other goat breeders who use it that it isnt always effective for internal and you need to give an oral wormer if you have internal parasites

13. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Ive used the cattle pour on for heel mites successfully as a pour on...just a few cc topically on affected area once every 21 days, it usually clear up by the second treatment.
    For internal I use the Ivermectin injectable ORALLY.

14. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Anyone know about using the ivermectin topically on pregnant does? My girls.. especially the pregnant doe... are itching! I've used an equine powder 3 times now... and they are still itching. I'm going to go out with some tea trea oil and rosemary... I need to check to see if I have eucalyptus.... with olive oil... but I may pull out the 'big guns' if this continues.

15. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I'd like to hear this answer too, milk and honey. I have a pregnant girl that probably needs to be done.

16. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    We may need to post a new question on this, but I'll bump it again...

17. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    We are going to do an oral dewormer next, although the pour on seemed to perk everyone up and their color had seemed better, but since they are inside now all the time due to the weather, I am going to have a fecal exam done, just to double check that they are okay in that area.

18. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have no idea about using the pour-on on preggies, I only have wethers......but I do use the pour-on for mites on my boys and it is the only thing I have found that works! I just wanted to point out on fecaling in the winter.....all you see on fecals are eggs, adult worms (barberpoles) do not lay eggs in cold temps so just keep in mind that because you don't see eggs on a fecal does not always mean your goat is clean.....so watch their coloring.

19. Danielle

Danielle New Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern New Mexico
    Another question to throw in. How many of you have used the Generic Dewormers such as IVER-ON™ or ProMectin B? They're half the price but I'm having trouble figuring out how similar they are to IVOMEC and Ivermectin.

Would be nice to save a little money on these expensive dewormers.

20. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    I would guess the difference would be the same as using a generic perscription, because the pour on I use Ivo-mec but active ingredient/dewormer is Ivermectin. Same as the generic 1.87% Horse paste dewormer I bought. If Im wrong please correct me.