ivermectin question

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by lovespud, Feb 9, 2010.

1. lovespud

lovespud Member

Nov 3, 2009
    My ND doe has an itchy rear end. Last time this happened was late summer. I suspected worms because that happens to wormy horses too. Valbazen did the trick, but now she is 1 month pregnant (hopefully) and I can't use that. After some research I think I'd feel best about using the Ivermectin paste for horses at the triple dose. My question is, do I need to follow it up in 10 days? again after that? like with the Valbazen. She is 11 months old and has only been wormed last summer. Otherwise she is in great health with loads of energy. I don't want to stress her system. Unfortunately, I didn't deworm her before breeding and didn't expect any problems. And maybe it's something else. Thoughts? I know you'll tell me to get a fecal, but I am in a very rural area! I figured if the wormer doesn't help, that would be my next step.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    she might have lice if she's itchy, look for little orange-yellow bugs crawling around in her hair, theyd be really small. if yes, then try lice dust or spray...synergixe come to mind, but i've never used it, i use a fly, mousquito and lice spray.

3. lovespud

lovespud Member

Nov 3, 2009
    I hadn't really thought of lice. I did dust them last summer, so I still have the dusting powder. I'll check her for them tomorrow. That might be why I THOUGHT the wormer worked...it was probably around the same time.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup you need to follow up with a second dose 7-10 days later

alaskBoers is right - lice could also be the culprit

5. lovespud

lovespud Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Yikes, it's always something! Thanks

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Isn't that the truth.... :doh:

everyone gave good advice... :greengrin:

7. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    We just had lice here. No fun! Itchy bottom was a symptom!

8. lovespud

lovespud Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Now that I've read more postings about lice I'm more convinced that that is what's going on. I have a dusting powder from last summer that I know is safe on pregnant animals, so I'll start there. Should I still worm her now or wait until she's further in her pregnancy? Not sure if lice creates internal parasites like tapeworm from fleas on dogs and cats?

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    to reduce the risk of resistant worms yes do go and wormer her for the 7-10 days after the first

10. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    If you use the injectable ivomec orally, do you repeat after 7-10 days as well?

11. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Yes I sure do. You see with all this resistance going around and there's all sorts of theories, one of them being underdosing.
    What that means is the animal is not getting enough of the wormer. Inotherwords you dose once & expect to break the cycle? No way.
    (not saying that's what you are saying Rogersfarm, just in general)