The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to worm today using Ivomec and it seems like it would be a lot easier to give it SQ then orally. Is that ok? What is the dose if giving it by injection? Thanks!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I do not believe that ivermectin intended to be given orally can be injected, however, there is an injectable form of Ivomec that is given SQ. I don't know what the dosage is, though. You might look in the sticky about drug doses, it might be listed there.

·
Registered
31,477 Posts
Yes...I give injectable Ivomenc sub Q..and I agree its a lot easier to give a shot then oral meds lol 1 cc per 40#

·
Registered
31,477 Posts
Yes I use Ivomec plus for cattle..there is plain ivomec as well...it does sting..I have some goats that would really fuss then others who just shake it off..the fit is short lived...I wouldn't say they go nuts, but do expect a reaction..lol...the best place to inject is where the neck meets the body ..on the side some..the skin is pretty loos there..

·
Registered
31,477 Posts
Yes..I have had this happen...it is why I never give injectable wormer orally...its sad thing to watch...Best of luck!!:)

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts

That is good, I will say i have given it Sub Q, and I will NEVER do it again. I almost lost a doe to it, (Or I thought I was going to). She threw herself on the ground and screamed like crazy. It about killed me.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I don't like giving any more shots than I have to. I use the Ivomec cattle/swine injectable orally.
I use an old cleaned out Probios syringe. I put in a glop of molasses, then the wormer dose, then another glop of molasses. They line up for it.;)

·
Registered
31,477 Posts
I gave given it Sub Q, and I will NEVER do it again. I almost lost a doe to it, (Or I thought I was going to). She threw herself on the ground and screamed like crazy. It about killed me.
I had one have a reaction like that..she was pygmy...she laid in my lap and cried..heart breaking...for her I never gave it again..I used Valbazen orally...but everyone else for the last 7+ years have done very well with injection...some just dont..If I have that happen to any goat..I change meds for that one..But I still will not use injectable or pour on as oral...I lost several goats early on doing it that way...too big a risk per my experiance..

·
Registered
635 Posts
Really? I've never heard of an issue with using injectable orally.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
That is good, I will say i have given it Sub Q, and I will NEVER do it again. I almost lost a doe to it, (Or I thought I was going to). She threw herself on the ground and screamed like crazy. It about killed me.
:eek:
Thats what happened to mine! Well, what I used was 4 years expired and I did it IM

·
Registered
31,477 Posts
info on bleed out after recieving wormer orally that was meant for injected or pour on

http://goat-link.com/content/view/58/46/#.UbFCRPaDR68

I had this happen to several Boar in my first year..it was horrible..not every goat will have an issue..I think the more heavy burdened the goat is the more likely for bleed out..I just choose not to risk it...

·
Registered
31,477 Posts
Thats what happened to mine! Well, what I used was 4 years expired and I did it IM
Yiks! IM must have been quite painful....I only do hormones IM...all others can be done Sug Q...If I have a goat who actinglikeit hurts..I walk her out and in a minute or less its over...I do hate that for them..I wish they could come up with one that doesnt sting...but most all the meds we use does...we only treat as needed but still..I hate that for them...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can minimize the sting with your technique. When you grab a handful of skin and pull it up to give the SQ shot, jiggle the skin a little while you are injecting and inject slow. The body's nerves focus on the pulling and jiggling of the skin and not the stinging. Works for humans too :)

·
Registered
31,477 Posts
Thanks Evergreen....Ill try that next time I have to do shots...

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I have given it both ways but I'm thinking about using it subq only. I did a a project on deworming and parasite control in goats and injection stays in the body thus killing more effectively. I believe the above article also states that? I don't use ivomec alot... Usually just for lice and mites, or on does. I use cydectin for the wethers alot and ivermectin paste but the injection works great too.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts