The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching and discovered I should give my goats the injectable Ivomec (ivermectin) 1% solution orally, not inject it as I have in the past. Could you please discuss what the differences are in the way it is administered, if there is a difference in the dose when administered differently, and if it is still safe for pregnant does administered either way? Would there be a reason or special situation to administer by injection instead of orally?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I was just about to ask the same question! I don't like giving shots when I can avoid it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It works best when given orally to goats and is safe to use in pregnant does. I use to use it before switching to a herbal dewormer and was very pleased with it.
Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
30,219 Posts
I have to respectively disagree with giving it oral...If it is made to inject I inject.... and honestly it is easier to give a goat a shot then meds orally : )
here is a link to share one of the reasons I feel this way...
http://goat-link.com/content/view/58/46/#.UTfBqhytKYo
I lost several goat my first year due to this...

·
Registered
119 Posts
The article does make sense and is something to be considered. We as owners need to be very careful when giving goats any kind of meds especially ones that aren't labeled for goats. I no longer use it but when I did I never had a problem with it and my goats did fine. Just my experience. Thank you for sharing the article, happybleats! There is always something new to learn! :) I agree it is easier to give goats a shot than oral meds. lol

·
Registered
30,219 Posts
you are right Countrygirl17..we are forever learning...and there are more than one way to do almost everything lol..we can express our opinion and allow other to decided...that is what is wonderful about this site : )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts