The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 25 goats, ages 2 months to 10 years, and suddenly a lot of them are showing signs of mites. I am also about to treat them for copper deficiency as that seems to be going on as well.

A few of them have gross "oatmeal" flaky skin and many have thinning hair on the tips of their ears and bridge of the nose. The dark haired ones are getting a reddish tinge and slight curl to their coats. :( I feel kind of terrible that this has happened, but I will fix it!

One thing I've seen in my research in preparing to treat them is that some sources say to inject Ivomec under the ribs or just SQ in the neck, and others say that goats and sheep respond better to oral treatment with the same product, Ivomec. Anybody have experience with trying both ways?

I am also going to get Copasure and dust more regularly than I have been with diatomaceous earth. Does that sound good?

I appreciate all advice!

·
I'm watching you
22,150 Posts
I always use wormers orally at appropriate doses. I use Cy-Lence pour on for lice and mites.

If you are on the west side of the cascades, it's very good to use the Ivomec Plus twice a year for liver fluke. We do have a big problem with those.
We are also deficient in Selenium and Iodine. These are cared for with Bo.Se shots the same day as copper blousing and free choice sea kelp meal.

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
For mites it should be injected Sub Q IMO..:) 3 times a week apart...1 cc per 40#

·
Super Moderator
58,077 Posts
My personal experience has been that I need to inject for lice and mites. I give orally for stomach worms. I inject at 1cc per 40 lbs. I always give SQ shots in the neck right down where it meets into the body.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts