The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Ivomec plus pour on a drench or injection... I believe drench but don't wanna screw up lol

·
14,615 Posts
There is a regular Ivermectin pour on for cattle. It is blue. That we use topically. That stuff smells like turpentine I sure wouldnt give orally.
The 1% clear injectionable for cattle (regular or plus) we do use orally.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I got from the vet is the blue pour on for cattle.. I give it orally. right?

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
I would not give a pour on orally. It should go on their back. But that won't really help with any worm problems. I'm not sure why the vet would give you the pour on type instead of the injectable.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
every where I have read says you give the cattle pour on, orally to a goat ??? I have read that several times on here....

·
14,615 Posts
We give the cattle injectable orally, not da pour on.;)
Now. If there are external parasites the injectable can be injected.
The blue pour on is not used any way but topically to my knowledge.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She has bottle jaw.
I have it ready to give her. ... the vet told me to give the Ivomec plus cattle pour on, (blue) orally...

So I can't ?

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you don't give a pour on orally why is Cydectin recommended ? it's a pour on.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Do not give the pour on orally!! The inactive ingredients are not good for goats given this way. If your goat has bottle jaw return the pour on and get the INJECTABLE instead. Injectable Ivomectine CAN be given orally safely. The dose is 1cc/25lbs for three day in a row. Repeat in two weeks for three days in a row again. Bottle jaw is serious, very important NOT to under dose. I seriously can't believe your vet said to give the pour on orally. Glad you checked in here...

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UGH!
Glad I checked.
How long can bottle jaw untreated? I can't get to the vet till tomorrow now,.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Do you have a feed/farm store (any Blue Seal dealer, Agway, Tractor Supply Co, etc) near by? They should carry the injectable. The sooner the better. But if you can't get it until tomorrow they should be ok. How are they acting/feeling? Appetite ok?

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Only on has it, she has been sick for a while, with worms. I wormed with cydectin two weeks ago. She eats a lot of hay, she nibbles at her grain but doesn't eat more then 1 cup a day. She grazes and walks around with the others. Jumps up when she sees me. I just can't get to town today, I have to work (where I am now). When I get off it is closed.

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
I am not giving any wormers orally, except valbazen after kidding. Injectables give a higher and longer drug level residue.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes, you can give it either way. I have had better luck, though, giving it orally at the dosing I gave previously than injecting it. Though for many it works perfectly fine by injection. It may have something to do with the tolerance worms in your area have built up to the wormer--not sure. There are some great discussions on this site about this subject that you can find by doing a search.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay just want to make sure I got it right ..

You can give Ivomec plus (or generic) Injectable for cattle.. as either an injectable or oral in goats..

1 cc per 40 pounds

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
Okay just want to make sure I got it right ..

You can give Ivomec plus (or generic) Injectable for cattle.. as either an injectable or oral in goats..

1 cc per 40 pounds
Yes. But 1cc per 40 lbs is for injection. Usually people give 1cc per 25 lbs orally.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Round up right... like for 45 pounds do 2 cc (orally) for 60 do 2 1/2 cc (orally)

Also I am going to treat every ten days for 3 times then 30 days later... should I buy it all today ? will it keep sitting in a syringe ?

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
yep!

Why not buy a whole bottle of it along with needles and syringes? Maybe get what you need to do the first shot and then order it right away to do the remaining shots.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It will only cost me $3.50 for all my herd to be treated.
for the 10 days for three times and then 30 days...

I already have needles and syringes. But I am giving this oral.
for the 10 days for three times and then 30 days...

I had planned on worming with cydectin, but I read some where you had said that if you use cydectin first when it no longer works you have no where to go ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts