The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read on here somewhere that you can give Ivomec pour on orally. I know its not the best way to medicate but I want to know for furture references just incase. I posted earlier about it but some how it disappeared with other posts I made. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have read several places that ivomec should not be injected in goats, only given orally. Yet the protocol for meningeal worms is injected. Can someone explain why oral is best, at least most of the time?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
I use Ivomec plus Sub q always...has worked well for us so far...but many use it orally as well...best to do injected if there is a heavy worm load...then follow with an oral booster in 10 days if you choose to do oral...
as Karen said..oral moves out fast, this can leave a mass of dead worms in its wake...so injected first to do a slow kill allows the goat to rid its body of the dead worms...kill a heavy load too fast can cause toxcity and/or bleed out..
http://goat-link.com/content/view/58/46/#.Uo2MiGRxte4

·
Super Moderator
14,789 Posts
I know many people who give the pour on orally and I soooooo disagree. Nancy d is right the rest sucks. I had some get on my lip and a little in my mouth and I felt my lip burn for a hour.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you use pour on as an injectable? I so would rather do that then Orally. I can see how it could be, if its meant to be absorbed threw the skin, then couldn't sq be ok? as long as its small doses and not large ones??
:shrug:

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
No you cant use a pour on as injectable...it is not sterile in the container for one thing..this can cause terrible infection..its not formulated for injection...Pick you some Ivomec plus if you want to go Sub Q...which you can also use orally as mention above...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jessica84 Does it work very well as a dewormer for internal parasites? She got it for her cattle, but she didn't use it on them and sold them. She gave it to me for the goats. I read on here on a couple places you could use it orally. That it worked better that way. But I cannot find it now, so that is why I was asking. I want to be able to get the most out of it. Her does she gave me need worming, and I am going to have to do my girls as well. So want to use it in the best way I can to get rid of the most bugs/worms.

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Can you use pour on as an injectable? I so would rather do that then Orally. I can see how it could be, if its meant to be absorbed threw the skin, then couldn't sq be ok? as long as its small doses and not large ones??
:shrug:
No. Pour on is meant to be absorbed through the skin, therefore it is formulated to be able to do that. To inject it would be opening your goat up to a whole slew of potential problems, some of which could very well prove fatal because of the difference in uptake once in the body, contaminants in the bottle, and things added to enable it to penetrate skin.

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
It is not a recommended use for pour on..pour on is formulated to be absorbed through tough thick skin of a cow, and even though some use it orally and even vets say its ok...its not..IMO, its best to use meds the way they are made to be used...pour on's should be poured on, injecable should be injected and oral given orally...however many use injectable safely as an oral, but again,its formulated to be put into the body, not on it...it is wise to go to the side of caustion when giving meds to our goats..:D

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
It can be confusing, there are many different ideas on how to raise goats, give meds ect....all we can do is read, become educated and learn from each other and in the end, we have to decide which information will work best in our herd..Forever I would never give injecable wormer orally, but decided instead of being stuffy about it to research, learn, and found it has been used safely many times, if the goat is not heavy loaded. I personally still have not used it orally, not sure I ever will, but doesnt make it wrong if some one else does.. New information is always coming to light, the old ways of doing things can be found to have harmful effects, and we have to change ...just keep reading, learning and evolving as new info comes avaiable :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts