The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi (again),

I've discovered that my two 11wk old goats have sucking lice. They also have pretty bad FAMACHA scores (was improving after toltrazuril for cocci, now fading again), so I want to treat them with Ivomec injectable. The dose I plan to use is 1cc/40lbs, please correct me if that's wrong. One is also chewing at his feet a bit, as of yesterday, so I think the Ivomec will take care of any mites as well - that's why I'm going SubQ instead of oral. Of course, necessary environmental actions are being taken as well. My question is, is it safe to treat my 4wk old goat as well? He is 20lbs. I only found one louse on him, but his FAMACHA is not very good either. All 3 have pale pink membranes. They have no other signs of anemia. Fecals for the young goat and one of the older goats had no worms two weeks ago, but there is one goat that I didn't test. Could the sucking lice really be causing bad FAMACHA scores? The boys aren't totally infested, but they have enough lice to be itchy/uncomfortable. I understand that SubQ ivomec is pretty harsh, but I'm concerned that I don't have time for natural remedies because of their FAMACHA scores. Let me know what you would do.

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
Personally, I would not inject a 4 week old with ivomec. Its super painful and studies have shown ivomec can cause brain damage in kids. I don't use ivomec product on kids under 6 months old as a precaution.

Cylence would be a better choice for lice.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally, I would not inject a 4 week old with ivomec. Its super painful and studies have shown ivomec can cause brain damage in kids. I don't use ivomec product on kids under 6 months old as a precaution.

Cylence would be a better choice for lice.
Thank you for the information. Ivomec acts on GABA receptors and isn't lipid soluable (i.e. does not cross the blood-brain barrier), so I wonder how it could cause brain damage. Was it via fever? I couldn't find the study you referenced but I would be interested in reading it if you know where I can find it!
Edit for clarity: I have only read a few studies on Ivomec and it wouldn't be the first time that I've been wrong, so I really am interested in reading contradicting studies if you have them (no sarcasm)

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
I'll have to dig deep. Goat hiker and I looked into it. Not all kids has a reaction but enough to cause concern.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
I give Ivomec orally, not injected to 1 month olds with no issues.
However, if they are anemic, do not give it orally, even though it would kill some lice.

Ivomec pour on can be used.
Or ultraboss.

If the goat has worms, I would try another wormer other than Ivomec.

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
@goathiker may remember our sources. In the mean time..ill look.for info too. Might be time to update the findings.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Why not treat the little ones anemia with red cell, vit b. Or any Oral type medication
Treat the pests on the outside until the little guys are less anemic. Being 11 weeks old, it may be too harsh for their systems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update - I did end up treating all the goats with Ivomec SubQ per my vet's reccomendation (replies to this thread were mostly after I'd already treated). Luckily all of them were fine. Two of the three didn't even act like it hurt, and the one that showed pain was over it quickly, thank goodness. Oddly enough, the little guy took it the best. In the future I would probably try some of your recommendations before going to Ivomec though. However, it was very effective and all of the boys' FAMACHA scores improved to acceptable levels after treatment. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts