Ivy

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by heavenlyhaven, May 3, 2008.

1. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    I got to meet Julie this past Friday
    [​IMG]
    I bought Noel from her
    she is such a loving little girl
    she just wants to be scratched and loved
    i have tried doing some deep massage therapy on her neck and it seems to help
    well, she really likes it anyway
    does anyone have any suggestions/advice?
    for anyone that doesn't know
    she got hit really hard at Julie's house by another goat
    at first she couldn't walk at all but she is "ok" now other than being blind in one eye (i think) and walking with her head tilted...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Wow she is adorable! No ideas for neck- is it possible a nerve was damaged? The massaging can only help though...some sort of muscle soothing cream or something similar might be a possibility? Just to help with the possible pain, perhaps..

3. heavenlyhaven

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    what is a safe linament to use on a 5month old goat??????

4. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    It was nice meeting you Tami :D

I love the pics of Noel ! She is such an adorable, sweet girl !

As far as tilting her head ~ I'm still convinced that she tilts her head so that she can see with her left eye. Like I mentioned before. I don't think it's because she has something wrong with her kneck. It's because of her vision ~ She is apparantly blind in her right eye and is trying to compensate with her left eye - but since a goat's eyes are more on the "sides" of their face/head - and she can only see with her left eye - she has to twist her kneck like that in order to see everything.
    Not sure if you remember or not .... but do you remember what I said about that buck that Stacey told me about ? She said that there was a buck that was blind in one eye - and he did the same thing - walked with his head tilted so he could see with his one good eye. Didn't bother him in any way ~ he just walked with his head tilted .... right Stacey ?

So imo ~ there's not a kneck problem (although I'm not a vet, and admit I could be wrong) ... it's just that she's trying to see everything with her left eye. :)

And also, she has progressed so much since the incident - she continually progressed with her walking, etc. And I'm confident that she only continue to adjust and to learn how to balance her self better and better. This just happened recently - so she needs some time to learn how to adjust to seeing with only one eye, and having to tilt her head to see.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Julie I think you are right. These are the first pictures i have seen of her since the accident.

In one of those pictures her head is turned to the left instead of the right......suggesting not a nerilogical issue, though she may have a stiff neck do to the head tilting to see/overcompensating.

As to the blind buck I was talking about --- you got my two stories mixed together but the point I was making is that they can easily survive with both blindness and neck injuries.

Some of you may remember a goat Gyro from a fellow goat lover on goatweb. Well Gyro lives (to this day to my knowledge) with his head almost bent totaly to his right from damage caused by a dog attack that should have killed him.

I used a blind buck to service my does one year. He would tilt his head to different sides and always walked with his head up. When Julie started to describe Noel's actions I thought of this blind buck and it reminded me of him so that is when i suggested she check for blindness in one eye.

heavenlyhaven...you titled this thread Ivy.......are you renaming her :? Just curious

6. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Ivy is her "papered" name. Her breeder named her that before I knew I was buying her ... and I didn't like the name Ivy because it reminds me of an IV (at the hospital). SO I gave her the name "Noel" .... but yeah, Ivy is her name on her papers. :)

7. heavenlyhaven

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    yea
    what julie said :wink:
    one of my twins helped me with her yesterday
    she saw her papers and said
    "mom, you go the wrong papers. these papers are for ivy not noel"
    so i panicked but checked everything and knew i had the right papers
    my daughter said she didn't like the name noel and she didn't care what i said she was gonna call her ivy
    (i think its a goth thing)
    so i figured we might as all call her ivy

sat morn her nose was still snotty but she did ride in that crate then spent the night in my truck tho there was an open window (back of truck with cap)
    she spent the night in the barn and i think she is fine now
    going to let her out in the pasture and babysit with her
    (she so hates being alone)
    and see how the goats treat her

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Yes now I remember that.

Well I think she will settle in soon, it is a lot of change for the poor little thing. With any snotty nose unless it is green or yellow I just give it a day to clear up and it usually does.

I even have a goat with alergies :hair:

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'd say keep up with neck massaging, I'm sure she likes that, if she is blind in one eye from nerve damage there really isn't much you can do.