Jack slipped a disk

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by liz, Sep 23, 2010.

1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    This is something I've never had to deal with and it's really breaking my heart to see him this way.
    He was fine Sunday...Monday he seemed off and didn't want to play, Monday night he yipped when he went to get on his chair, seemed ok Tuesday morning, Tuesday afternoon he was even better but Tuesday night he cried in pain when I was petting him, I called for a vet appointment yesterday, he was diagnosed with a slipped disk and put on prednisone, 5mg 2x a day for 7 days then 1x a day for 7 days as well as a pain killer, Tramadol...25mg 2x a day.

He got worse today and now he has trouble moving his back legs, his tail still wags but it is so hard for me and DH to see him sit in his crate, panting and shaking...vet said it's because he's in pain, he also has not pooped because of the pain, vet said he will but not to worry too much, he's peeing, drinking and eating but even though DH and I were told that his recovery will take a minimum of 2 weeks it's so hard to see him like this...Jack is a small beagle mix that we rescued 3 years ago and I really miss hearing him squeel after bunnies.

If anyone has ever dealt with the sadness of a recovery with something like this, how do you cope with knowing your pet is in pain?

Attached Files:

• 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      66.4 KB
      Views:
  2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    awe Liz :hug: poor Jack

I hope he recovers quickly

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I just came in from taking him outside, even though he can't walk he still managed to scoot across the grass and finally pooped! I hope he rests comfortably now...I will be a wreck tomorrow at work even though I know DH will be here with him.

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Oh Liz....I am so sorry :hug: .....poor Jack :( .

I have no advice for dealing with seeing a beloved pet in pain, but I do have so much sympathy for you and hubby......a couple of months ago my little terrier developed a uti and was in pain and it just killed me.... of course it was a holiday weekend and hubby was out of town! I found the nearest emergency vet clinic and drove an hour each way late at night because I just couldn't take watching her whine and running all over the yard trying to pee......don't even ask me what it cost :shocked: , but so worth it to get her started on meds asap! Did the vet give him anything for pain?

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Duh.....just reread and saw he put Jack on Tramadol (great pain med).....FYI, Tramadol can cause constipation.....that is what they put my little terrier on and she got really constipated, my personal vet gave me a laxitive for her.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Oh Liz, I will pray that Jack makes a speedy recovery.

Look at that face, he is adorable.

7. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I am sooo sorry!!! I do know that tramadol is a good pain med but do watch for constipation. Maybe you can call and get him a stool softner- we would often give that for my patients(humans).

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Poor Jack.... I pray... he gets better soon.... :hug: :pray:

9. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    We used to put a towel under the belly and help Arthur walk by holding the ends of the towel. It just helped take some of the weight and pressure off when he walked. When he laid down, we applied a heating pad on low. (it was chilly here at the time) He was a large basset hound. (my grandpa ran over him)

Hope he feels better soon. I hate when they don't feel good. I don't always know how to make them better. Or explain why I have to give them shots twice a day. It hurts when they hate to see you because they know it's med time. :sigh:

Hugs and prayer
    Gina

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The day went ok...DH gave him his pills this morning and took him out to pee.....He was on a blanket in our room after he was anxious about getting out of the crate late last night, so we left him there, when DH went to get him to take him out, he had scooted across the floor to the door way. I had DH put him in the crate, BIG MISTAKE, He was literally rocking this thing trying to get out so DH ended up putting him back in the bedroom, called the vet and he said that as long as he is quiet, minimal moving around and the cats and Katie can't harrass him then leaving him out of the crate will be alright.

Gina, I too thought of using a towel under him when he walks but the vet said to not cause an upward arch of the spine, that we are to pick him up with a hand under his butt and one under his chest to try and keep his back as level as we can...now I may end up using the heating pad, I know it made me feel better when I herniated a disk. Thank you all so much, I truly appreciate the support.

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    UPDATE....Jack has been a bit better today, he was so happy to see Steph last nite too, she brought me some doggy diapers so Jack would have a dry bed and this morning he seemed a bit stronger, after work today he was excited enough to see me that he dragged himself to a standing position, I know he still has a good bit before he fully recovers but I have Faith that he'll be chasing bunnies once again.

12. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    :clap: Hip-Hip-Hooray for Jack!!!! and :hug: to you Liz!

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I know he'll get better with time...he has a strong will and wanted to go after the bunny we saw in the front yard, he started to yip but then quit, he did have his tail up though.
    Being able to put his progress here has been so helpful, I do think though that we have a long road ahead and being able to come back here and see his progress and seeing all of your kind words will really help :hug:

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is better news... :hi5: ..here's to Jack ...good boy.... :hug: :pray:

15. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    How's Jack doing? He's awfully cute! My doxie hurt his back last year, and that tramadol really helps! Sending positive puppy prayers your way!

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It's been a week and he still has the will to be on the go, his prednisone gets cut to 1 pill a day starting tomorrow, the tramadol really halps with his pain, I think a bit too much though cause within 2 hours of him getting it he will not stay in one spot! He has feeling in his legs, toes cause I pinch a toe daily to make sure, he pulls his leg back away from me. He's eating, drinking and finally pooping regular...he moves off his bed to go on the newspaper I have in front of him. Lets hope that my Faith will have him walking soon....the vet said a minimum of 2 weeks recovery, the past week has been very long and exhausting, I pray that after all of this that he can walk again.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    glad he is still doing ok... :hug: .... I pray .....that he walks again......hang in there ....have faith.... :hug: :pray:

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well..it's been a little more than 3 weeks, going on 4. Jack Man is standing on his own :leap: We still need to keep his activity limited and he does wear a diaper around his middle because he tends to dribble when he moves around...other than that his future is looking very bright with much improvement :leap: He's attempting to walk and his tail goes like crazy when he knows I'm taking him out side....and I had to tell hubby he needed to cut back on his food...I didn't realize just how much hubby was feeding him! Jack weighed 23 pounds 3 weeks ago, he's now 26...not good! DH was giving him 3 cups of food instead of his 1/2 cup he would normally get 2x a day :shocked:

19. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    :clap: Yeah for Jack! Love to hear he is doing so well!

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Alright~!!!..... :cool: :hi5: :leap: :clap: :stars: