Jack slipped a disk

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by liz, Sep 23, 2010.

1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Its now been officially 1 month since Jack hurt himself...and he is now walking! Unsteadily and looks alot like my DH after a few too many :cheers: but he's getting better.
    I still wrap a diaper around his middle because he still sprays when he moves but he has been going to the door when he has to poop. He's on Prednisone every other day for the next two weeks.

He's definately getting back to his old self :dance:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so happy for you Liz...Jack and your family...that is terrific news.... :thumb: :hug: :leap:

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you Pam...it is unbelievable the amount of stress that has been lifted from me, I was so worried that his quality of life would be so that DH and I would need to make a decision...after losing my Max in July, I don't think I would have handled things well if we lost Jack too.

I am so relieved that Jack Man can walk, Dr Fox said it will be few months before he is totally well enough to be back to his normal behavior and that he may not want to run as fast after bunnies but we will work on that because Jack absolutely LOVES trailing those bunnies!

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    :clap: Liz....I'm so glad to hear Jack is doing so well.....I certainly understand you being stressed.....I was so glad Izzy's back problem was short lived and she is back to normal.

5. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I had a mini dachshund with a deteriorated disk, she was 10 when this happened, I gave her yucca schidigera root powder, it kept her going for many years, she was 16 and 1/2 when I put her down for other reasons. Once he is off the prednisone and tramadol you might want to consider keeping it around and maybe giving it to him. I have a friend who had a pit bull cross rescue with hip displasia, they couldn't afford the surgery and gave him yucca root powder his whole life, except when he was so active it drove them nuts. he could jump 6 foot fences. It is an anti inflammatory, but long term use doesn't seem to hurt them. I take it for arthiritis sporadically. I buy it by the pound now. It is the root of the yucca cactus that grows wild in New Mexico, not the Yuca (?) plant that is sold as a food root from some South American cultures. And in Puerto Rico. I've seen it here in New Mexico too.

It has a side effect of making poop smell less awful, so dog food manufacturers added it to their foods for awhile, it made it harder to find this particular variety of yucca. I don't know if they still do that, it certainly wasn't enough in the food to actually achieve that.

Jan

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    The yuca plant is very toxic.....one of my pups was poisioned by one when she was little, I had no idea how toxic they are and was transplanting some in my yard and she was playing with one, pulling it by it's roots with her mouth.....we almost lost her! Needless to say.....I no longer have any on my property.

7. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Yes, that is a very different thing than the yucca cactus. Although people eat the yuca root, I don't know how it's prepared, but I've seen it in the grocery store. Of course I don't know how eating a whole yucca cactus might affect a pup or a person either, I use less than 1/4 t for a dose, and used a half capsule twice a day for the dachsie. When I was buying it in capsules. My current dogs are great danes and would get a 1/4 t twice a day.

I find it very confusing, I never heard of yuca until a friend from Puerto Rico told me I could get it in the grocery store, he thought it was the same as yucca.

Jan

8. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I am sorry to be discussing this in Jack's thread, but very happy he is doing so well.

Yuca is manioc, cassava, and has to be processed to be edible. It is the third largest source of carbohydrates in the world. per wikipedia.

Yucca on the other hand is not toxic. Her is part of what Wiki says about yucca schidigera, Mojave yucca:

The fibers of the leaves were used by Native Americans to make rope, sandals, and cloth. The flowers and fruit could be eaten and the black seeds were ground into a flour. The roots were used to make soap. Currently extracts from this plant are in animal feed and various herbal medications. Some reports claim that Native Americans washed their hair with yucca to fight dandruff and hair loss. Among the other maladies this yucca has been used to treat are headaches, bleeding, gonorrhea, arthritis and rheumatism. Also used as a natural deodorizer. Used in pet deodorizers. Steroid saponins are produced commercially from Yucca schidigera.

No more. Promise. Unless you ask, Liz.

Jan

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you for that info Jan.
    Well....Jack is still on the mend, he's being weaned off the Prednisone, hasn't had any Tramidol in 2 weeks and he is walking very well...he even tries to run. He's still mending though but he can finally scratch his own ears! After he realized he could get his hind leg up and moving while sitting, he must have sat and scratched his ear for a good 10 minutes last night.
    He's still having some trouble with incontinence BUT we know he may get better once his mobility is closer to 100%
    He's definately improving so we know his quality of life will still be good.

10. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    That is great news!

Jan

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Alright~! :leap: progress on his own....how cute...he can finally scratch his own ear...must of felt really good...to do it for 10 minutes straight.... Good Job Jack...I am proud of his accomplishments.... and glad... he is being weaned off the meds.... :greengrin: :thumb: :hi5: :hug:

12. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    :leap: You go Jack......scratch away!!!!!!

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I figured I'd give an update as far as Jack's rehab.
    He's no longer being confined, sleeps comfortably on his own bed, he's not wearing diapers anymore but does still have poop accidents when he starts to get excited about getting a cookie...I can deal with that as long as it gets better as he returns to his normal self.
    He is walking..oddly but he is up and moving, he even runs through the house carry his loofa puppy! He knows when he needs to rest though and my goodness, he even started baying after a bunny a few nights ago. He's still not 100% but he seems happy and is progressing.

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      66.5 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      65.9 KB
      Views:
  14. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Great news! Thanks for the pics.

Jan

15. Hush Hills Fainters

Hush Hills Fainters New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    I am glad he is doing better....What lengths we go to for our 4 legged freinds...I know when my boys (lab and cocker) are not feeling well I am doctering them the same as I would my own children...special dinners, extra snuggling...It's hartwarming to know how much you love your little puppy... :love:

16. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    That's a wonderful holiday story! Yeah! So happy that your dear Jack is doing well! :hug: :wahoo:

17. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    :clap: So, so good to see Jack doing so well.....what a sweetie! I know your one happy momma! Nothing more stressful than when one of our 4-legged kidos is sick or hurt.

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    He is so cute....glad he is doing so well..... :thumb: :hug: :hi5:

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well....Jack is still not totally back to himself, he's moving around just fine and he is not happy at all about being leashed when he goes outside, it really sucks too because he has had free run on the 3+ acres here for over 3 years and now since he's been tied for potty/exercise....my yard has become totally over run with rabbits :veryangry:
    He still has accidents in the house, it's like he has some control to hold it but when he gets excited, that control is lost...he still has a wavy walk but is doing much better. He loves those bunnies though...and is always alert and wanting to chase. He did manage to free himself a month ago and tore off squealing up through the field hot on the fuzzy white tail of a bunny, he chased it into some brush and I walked to get him and carry him home because I knew he wouldn't come to me and after that run, he definately knew he was better off being carried.

Attached Files:

• 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      68.2 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      44 KB
      Views:
  20. Hes a cutie! Glad he is doing better!