Jacob Sheep

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Dancing Goat, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Dancing Goat

Dancing Goat New Member

Jun 29, 2009
  2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    we go to a huge Wool market and they have some of the most beautiful ones there. We were talking to a breeder and she shad the people will try to purchase the older rams and they kill them just for the head to mount. That is horrible.

You should see them when they are all washed and cleaned for show. Talk about beautiful.

Are you looking at getting them?

3. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    They are amazing aren't they? :greengrin: I've gotten to see them at the state fair. They are even more gorgeous in person if at all possible. :drool:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow.. what a unique looking animal.... :wink: :greengrin:

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh yeah, I love jacob sheep...they are so unique! I almost got some a few years ago, but we were unable to for some reason...can't remember. :?

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    There is a breeder a couple miles from me...she has a shop at her house and sells raw wool, yarn, and hand-knitted items. A couple years ago, I went to a sheep herding demo there and got to watch her border collies work the sheep. Apparently, this type of sheep can be a bit defensive because they actually charged the dogs a few times (I don't have a whole lot of experience with sheep though so I don't know how common this behavior is). The breeder said that overall they are a really hardy breed, easy keepers, easy lambers, and don't require much specialized care.

7. Dancing Goat

Dancing Goat New Member

Jun 29, 2009
    ach! ACH! People actually kill them just for their heads?! Talk about senseless murder!!! I don't have a problem with slaughtering the animal if you are going to use the ENTIRE creature, but for crying out loud!! Killing them just for a trophy?!

I'd like to have one or two just to see what they're like. I don't know how they'd get on with goats though. I would really like to learn how to shear, clean the wool and make yarn out of it. Can anyone recommend a book?

8. Dancing Goat

Dancing Goat New Member

Jun 29, 2009
    I had heard that about these sheep also. I've seen on t.v. where cattle drive at the dogs also, so maybe it's the temperment of the individual animal. Fussy fussy...!

9. Dancing Goat

Dancing Goat New Member

Jun 29, 2009
    They are very unique looking. From the little that I've read of them they are of Syrian descent, grow four horns (sometimes five or six if you can believe there would be any more space on their heads for it), and they are all spotted. The wool is highly desirable because of it's texture, thickness and colour. I'd love to learn how the yarn is made.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Boy ....they sound so cool......... :wink:

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I saw some at our fair three yrs ago and thought it was some kind of mutation...lol!
    :doh:

12. Dancing Goat

Dancing Goat New Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Yeah, they're pretty crazy looking. I thought the same thing about the first black squirrel I ever saw.

http://chasingsquirrelswithrusty.files. ... irrel2.jpg

Spooky... :shocked:

13. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    we used to have a couple of jacob sheep when I was a kid. One was called Leah and the other Rachel... sad thing was that Rachel was barren - we should NEVER have called her that should we? :roll: she did eventually end up having twins, but said twins were stillborn sadly. The moral of the story being that you should always check that the horns fit through the slats in the feeder... so that the sheep doesn't starve itself :roll:

I would love another Jacob though and will get one someday. When you breed 'em to normal sheep - I mean like, any old sheep for meat, etc. like a Suffolk, Texel, etc. the lamb will be black all over with a little white star on the forehead

LW

14. I agree, at some point I want I want some but it will depend on future land etc.

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yikes!! Just more horns to watch out for! :slapfloor: