Jake and Elwood do have cocci and one has haemonchus

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cdtrum, Sep 5, 2008.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok....the vet gave me two different meds to use on both goats......he wants to treat both although Elwood is the one that tested positive for haemonchus......he put them on Corid solution for 5 days and gave both a dose of Panacur....now is there anything else I should do? I cleaned out their bedding and put in fresh. Is this treatment hard on them and should I expect them to act any different?....right now they are acting fine. Neither of them showed any outward signs of having either illness........I am so very thankful that I chose to have them checked out by our vet. He also gave them a CDT......we were not sure what they had been given if anything......I have learned a very good lesson in really finding out who and where you are getting your goats from.....I will be much more pickier in the future....but I am so in love with these little guys and the deserve to be taken care of.
    Have a great weekend all, Denise from Indiana :)

2. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Great that you have a knowledgeable vet!! Panacur is the same as Safeguard I believe and the Corid can really deplete the goats Vitamin B so after the 5 days of dosing wait til day 6 to give them a course of B Complex...keeping there area clean of poo for a few days will greatly help with prevention...and I agree with Susanne...dose them in 10 days with ivermectin.

When you got these boys did the breeder say anything about a worming regimen? Also as far as the cocci goes, I had never did anything for that as preventative and had 1 doeling of 9 kids have an overload...She was treated and others were on preventative as I saw the need and for next kidding ALL my goats will be on cocci prevention until the kids are weaned...lesson learned here.

Maybe if you can contact the breeder...in a kind way mention to her/him that the kids are wormy and cocci is present if she still has kids there it would be in their best interest for her to treat them.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    worms and coccidia can happen to even a good breeder (I KNOW! I was one of them this year! and so have a bunch of good breeders I know some even on this board) so dont go believing that someone is a bad breeder because your goats have worms and cocci.

Corid is good. I was told to never use quest on a goat sussane because the amoutn you need is so small you could easily hurt them with to much. I wouldnt use quest on a young goat.

Your guys will be fine.

How did the vet say to give the corid?

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    He had me mix 3oz. with 1 pint of water and syringe 12ml. by mouth once a day for 5 days. I do plan on emailing the breeder and letting him know.......I know that he cares for his goats just by the facility and how clean it was, but I don't know how well he is about prevention.....He told me that the vet had just been out the week before and Jake did have a knot from getting some kind of shot, but he couldn't tell me what it was......just that the vet had given them their yearly shot.....when I asked him about the overeating vacc......he said no, I don't use that.....that is why my vet thought it would be best to just do the vacc's over.....to cover ourselves. My vet also would like for me to divide the goats area into two sections and switch them back and forth over a period of time....what a pain, but we will do what ever is best...just got to figure it out as for as their shelter goes. Oh, one more thing.....I've been keeping baking soda out as free choice, but I just read in a new book I bought that males should not have it because of the whole urinary stone thing.....?????? any advice? I forgot to ask my vet about that one.....he did say good on the mixing ammonia chloride in their minerals......so thank you to those of you that suggested that!
    Thanks for all the helpful advice.....boy am I getting thrown right into the goat world!
    Denise from Indiana

6. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    baking soda causing UC? now thats something new ---- I cant even figure out how that would even be possible :scratch:

as to rotating ----- I dont rotate, I cant. There just isnt room And for only two goats that you have I can not see it being tramendously necessary.

YOu will just be making more work for yourself. THe chances of overcrowding and a worm overload or a cocci infestation are VERY minimal with only two goats :wink:

I NEVER EVER had a problem with worm or cocci till I had 13 goats in an area made for 3 standard dairy goats (when I bred the goats I was building a bigger pen but my dad halted that saying he was going to build me a barn and new pen ---- that didnt get done in time as he thought so I had them in a to small space)

I had goats for 11 years previous to that with no problem (except for with Mia who came to me with cocci therefor bringing the cocci to my place)

8. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I'm afraid that corid dosage is way off for goats, it can work really well, of dosed correctly.

Here's the dosages, don't dilute.

6cc/25#
    12cc/50#
    18cc/75
    24/100#

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That's so wierd, I have never heard of haemonchus. It's an internal parasite then?

We never really have problems with parasites and only de-worm two times a year, our goats are out on pasture, browse, and have a big play pen, so lots of room. I wish our barn were bigger. We did have kids with a little diarheea (sp?) this year, so did cocci-prevention treatments. Even the best breeders will have some type "parasite problem". Maybe when you asked him about the overeating disease vaccine, he didn't know what you meant?? That's kind of silly, but you never know. I guess it can't hurt to vaccinate them again, especially with the new info on vaccines.

I don't really see how Baking Soda can affect the urinary tract either. . . . hmmm.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    looks like haemonchus is the scientific name for baber pole worm

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It would be allright to have your boys where they are....rotation of pasture is a big thing if you have a herd of goats that seem to be constantly wormy. Barber pole worm would be what I have dealt with a month or so ago...not an infestation just some of the eggs showing up on a fecal, ivercare took care of that. You have done great as a goat owner so far and will continue to learn as I still do, The biggest thing with having any goat...not just wethers is to not over grain and always have fresh water and hay available...minerals and baking soda are a plus for having healthy kids as well as the time to give them te attention and love they need. You are a GREAT GOAT MOMMA! :greengrin:

12. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thank you all for your advice and input.....it is very helpful.....I will without a doubt have them retested.....I plan on calling the vet Monday morning to talk with him, My husband is not good at asking questions and he is the one that talked to the vet Friday afternoon. I will also double check on the dosage of the Corid....he weighed the boys while we were there at the office that morning......these guys are only 15lbs.
    Thanks again, Denise from Indiana

13. rlittlecritters

rlittlecritters New Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Lynden, Washington
    About the amonium cloride and baking soda thing.

One is an acid and one is a base. So if you are feeding ammonium chloride and also baking soda, it is kinda canceling each other out. Anyway that's what I've been told.

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I mix the ammonium chloride in the minerals for my boys, the baking soda is also freechoice....I don't see the "divits" in the soda like I do the mineral feeder so I know they are only taking the soda as they feel the need for it, which isn't very often. Thats good info to know though...never put much thought into the acid/base situation :)

15. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Jake and Elwood received a clean bill of health from the vet yesterday!!!!! I had a fecal ran it came back clean on both boys!!!! They seem to be thriving well, I have to wonder about their state of health before I brought them home....since being treated for the worms and cocci, they are eating so much better and both seem to be putting on some weight. Their gums seem a little light to me, but I really don't know how pink they should be, I will keep an eye on them, they both are acting fine......I am going ahead and going racing with my husband this weekend and letting our neighbor look after them....I am sure I'll worry all weekend, we will see how it goes.....our neighbor has had goats in the past....but he doesn't care for his animals the way I do.....he thinks I am overboard, he says I treat them like real kids......oh well, my kids are grown and gone so my animals are my children now!
    Take care, Denise from Indiana

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Great news!! And yur boys will be fine while you are away....remember though that there is nobody that can care for them the way that you do. :wink: ..just like 2 legged kids, they will be absolutely fine and will be eger to greet you when you get back...HAVE FUN!