Jake and Elwood go to the vet!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Sep 5, 2008.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok....I just wanted to share with all....I have only had the kids for about a week and really wanted them checked out by our vet ....we have wonderful farm vets, one of which deals with goats.....how lucky we are! Anyway, I took them in this morning and the vet looked them over from head to toe and ran a fecal on both and gave them their CDT.....he just called my husband and said they have worms and one of them has something else that my DH couldn't remember, but said the vet told him that it can be handle with meds.....so I am on my way to the vet to pick up the meds and see whats up..... I guess my point is these goats appeared very healthy and all my farmer neighbors have been giving me a hard time all week for making the vet appt......boy am I glad I did before these issues became to severe.
    Take care all, Denise from Indiana

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Good for you, I say better to be safe then sorry. When I got my first Nigerians they came from NM in the back of Hubbys SUV! Came from a good breeder that tests for CAE,CL,etc. But, one of the girls was looking a little "sickly", kind of depressed looking. When she started losing hair around her eyes and muzzle I called the vet over, she had cocci, so we dosed everyone. It was a good thing I called when I did, then I felt guilty that I didn't have them checked earlier! I have told my vet "when you treat my animals, think of them as pets, not livestock!"

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Denise, I would bet that the other thing that the one has is Cocci. yes it can be treated with meds and really all goats have it. It just depends on the active count.
    I say good for you for taking them to the vet. Congratulations on your new babies. :leap:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Denise do not ever feel guilty about the care of your goats......at least you care.. :thumb: ...If you have an animal no matter what it is,, you should give it the best of care..............no matter how hard of a time your farm fresh neighbors :roll: may give you...........shame on them...........HA ha~!

Just remember we are there for you..............

and good one Di ,well done......... :thumb: