The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I'm watching you
22,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I truly thought that Jeter was 12 or 13. Blaming his hind end problems on old age, I was just supporting him with pain and old age care. :eek: He was a rescue goat and I didn't know then what I know now...
Jeter came with no papers or birthdate BUT, he does have a registration tattoo in his ear we discovered last week. Poor baby is only 9. :( Sooo...off to my great, wonderful, please don't retire vet.
Yeah, I know but, I was practicing clipping...I'd never had a reason to clip his ears before. :eek:

Weirdly, to me, he was prescribed Phosphorus shots for his weak bent hind legs, We're going up to Mu.Se on him, and 4 times a year copper. He has a low protein high fat diet to follow.

We finished the phosphorus shots day before yesterday, watching him get stronger all the time. One hind leg is completely straight now.

Today, I had the pleasure of seeing my crippled retired pack goat, buck jumping down the hill to the feed troughs like a 3 year old. :D

AND a warning from my vet. Beet Pulp does have a decent CA/PH ratio BUT, it has very little of either and only trace amounts of phosphorus. Always feed beet pulp as a small amount of diet.
I had Jeter on Beet Pulp based horse food and alfalfa. Turns out that the horse food I chose for him is made for people who feel guilty about not giving their fat horse grain. So, while the ratio percentages look good on the bag, there's very little real nutrition in it. :(
Boy, it's been a learning year for me...Back to whole grains for everyone. Not going to trust the feed companies again...

·
I'm watching you
22,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, but you see. The shame is that I've owned Jeter for almost 8 years. I taught him to pack, gloried when he grew strong and healthy, and then watched him start growing crippled about a year and a half ago. I gave him the diet recommended by a well know pack goat breeder most of his life. Unfortunately that diet includes a lot of Beet Pulp.
I guess that I do know better. No one else here now gets fed that way, he came from her breeding though, and I do know her personally so, I followed her guidelines. There's much more to the story but, happily, it looks like Jeter will be able to overcome the poor diet.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
At least you figured it out, and he's returning to good health, that is the important thing:) After reading this kind a wondering if I should start making my own grain..... I just might do that...Cost wise it might be a little cheaper, I'm going to check into that:)

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
We do the best we can with the knowlege we have at the time ... I have repeated that statement to myself a hundred times over. Jeter is in great hands, it's wonderful you're seeing improvement!

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
That is great that he is doing better! Just goes to show that no matter how long you have been in livestock, there is always something new to learn. ;)

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Thanks for Sharing goathiker...we are always learning..and when our lessons can help others...all the better... So glad Jeter is on the mend...

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Bless his heart , wonderful to hear he is doing well.
Not one of us know "everything" , and never will. Animals are as individual as people are. Whats good for us now , may kill us tomorrow. Life is a learning experience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts