Joe Dirt - Answers on last page.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kelebek, Nov 29, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    This morning I went to feed and heard a weird noise coming from the buck pen. I looked in and Joe was a vomiting a bit. He was heaving and nothing really coming up. So I grabbed is throat to see if I could feel something caught in his throat - his WHOLE neck is swollen to where I can barely get my hand around it. He is breathing fine.

I put feed in there, and he went right over to it - but he does seem a little lethargic as he let me walk right up to him instead of playing his games first.

This evening I checked on him - still swollen - the rest of his body is not swollen, no bloat, only the front of his neck - the whole length of the front of his neck. I checked to feel if I could feel a bite or something - nothing. Nothing has changed in his food or water.

Has anyone heard of something like this before?

He is in with a Boer Buck that has horns - maybe lil man slammed him??

OH - and he is not "sore" when I grab the neck and mess with it.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: Emergency - Joe Dirt

could it be bottle jaw?

can you get a pic of it?

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

I cant get a pic because you can not see anything. Joe is 1 1/2 years (2 in April) never was a bottle baby. He is fully vaccinated. NO swelling around his jaw. Actually starts about 1-2 inches below his jaw and goes only in the front down to just above his neck meets his chest.

The skin feels real tights but can not feel any masses inside. Opened his mouth - nothing in there - even shoved my finger down his throat - and nothing.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois

I've seen bottle jaw adn I've never seen it go down the neck like you explain.

If he got hit that might explain it, but he would have some soreness. What color are his eyelids?

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

his eyelids seem to be pink - little light - but it is time for worming again - but still look good. Is not acting like he is in pain at all - and not "gazing" out either.

Now I just thought about it - yesterday I let him out with the sheep and horses - he very well could have gotten into something. He also got caught in between the sliding door and a wall thingy - weird to explain - but I had to pull him out - as he was literally stuck - he could have done it their i guess.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

with the vomiting ....and a mass down lower in the neck ...sure sounds like he may have hay or something lodged?

If there is no pain I don't think it could be from injury...I could be wrong..

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

He may of ate something poisonous.....check this site below ...does he have any other symptoms...like what is on the site list?

SYMPTOMS OF POISONING

Symptoms of poisoning can occur as soon as 2 hours up to 14 hours after ingestion.
    Symptoms include:
    Frothing at the mouth
    Vomiting
    Staggering
    Trembling
    Crying for help
    Rapid or labored breathing
    Altered pulse rate,
    Paralysis of the limbs,
    Convulsions
    Sudden death

http://www.napga.org/links.asp?PageID=3 ... 12&menuID=

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

I don't think that it is a mass. Reason being is that it is the whole legth of his neck (he is a Nigerian). It is a swelling - I can definately say that - but not sure as to the cause. No swelling anywhere else on his body.

When I checked on him tonight- no sign of vomit (hair and beard dry) and not coughing or hacking - still swollen.

He is not showing any of the signs of poisoning - and he has been in his stall since last night. (they stay in an oversized horse stall).

Other then the swelling - he seems perfectly normal. I would not have even noticed it but I heard him bring up a little hay this morning.

Do you think that I should try to bolus some water down him to see if maybe there is some hay lodged or something?

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

banamine for swelling if it is injury......or any anti-inflammatory med .....that you could give to a goat...so his neck does not swell shut.....

ephinefrin .. would help it he had a alergic reaction to something ....

If you want to you may try...but he may need tubing.... if it is something lodged..it needs to be ....dislodged ....but you need someone that knows how to properly do this procedure....

Feed stuck in the rumen .... Choke is the result of feed being stuck in the esophagus.

Bloat can also occur if something lodges in the throat or esophagus and blocks the means of belching. Sometimes it is possible for a goat to swallow something large enough to block the inside end of the esophagus. :hug: :pray:

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

That is really weird. To bad it isn't summer so you could just shave it down and get a better look. If it's swollen I just can't think of what it may be.....keep us updated! Poor little guy!

11. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.

Could it have been a spider bite-or bee sting or something??

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

I would give him some benedryl for now and see how he does with that.

13. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

How's he doing this morning Allison???

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

How is he doing Allison? Sorry I can't be of help with any suggesstions I wouldn't know why he vomited other than poisoning.

15. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN

Are there any weeds he's not normally around in the horse pasture? Has he been in there before? If he's been in there before then it's unlikey he ate something poisious that he ignored before? Sorry I couldn't be more help.

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

How is Joe dirt doing? I am so concerned... :worried:

17. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

He used to live in the pasture with the horses, but he never even really went out in gthe pen because he could stand next to the fence with the girls! LOL!

He is not any better this morning.

I tapped the swelling with a sringe in a couple places - got a little bit of blood, but probobly just tapped a small vein - nothing from the other pokes.

Eyelids are bright and pink

Brought him out to watch him eat - he is eating ever so softly - trying to eat grain - but not to interested in the hay.

Forced some water down him. Still does not look / feel bloated at all.

seemed a little tender today on his neck when I palpated.

Has weird gurgling noises. NO distress in breathing, no shaking, no hunching.

Is a little lethargic - yet didn't want me to catch him either - LOL! (that is typical for Joe to play a little Ring-around-the-rosie when catching him) He did want to be in his stall though. So I took the other boys out so he could relax and take as long as needed for the grain.

How much Benedryl would I give?

No bees - to cold - spiders possibly.

18. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

almost seems like an alergic reaction to something

you can give the adult dosage of benadryl

19. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

OK -

Thanks Stacey -

I will run out and give him a capsule

20. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Allison, How is Joe Dirt doing? I hope he is doing better. Have you really felt around the neck, just to make sure nothing is lodged? I am sure you have just thought I would tell you I am pulling for him.