The Goat Spot Forum banner
41 - 60 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Unfortunately my fecal sample package got held up in transit and did not arrive until Friday the 21st. The fecal float results are back and show low egg counts... Waiting anxiously for the Johnes results.

Burrata continues to have very loose stool but is in bright spirits and good appetite. I did buy the calf scour tablets but have not administered them yet waiting on the results. I cringe to do it because handling really stresses her.

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
The news is bad.

WADDL results show that Johnes was detected via the PCR test.

We are scheduling an appointment with the vet to draw blood & test the other 20 goats. We will probably conduct that twice several months apart unless the entire herd comes back positive.

I'm trying to decide whether to wait for the herd blood results to see how widespread it is before contacting 3 buyers who purchased doelings this year.

I think I will post Burrata on Craigslist for a meat buyer to pick up even though she has already scoured all the facilities. Eliminating one source for now seems like a good idea.

There are just so many things to consider. And we have kids due in 2.5 months.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I am sorry this is happening, too.

Reactions: SalteyLove

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I'm so sorry about the test results. I know you'll make the best possible decisions for yourself and your herd. I still stand by the idea that the mere presence of a pathogen is not enough to create a disease outbreak. Immune systems also have to be receptive to it, and if the rest of your herd is healthy and you keep clean pens I don't think this will necessarily affect your entire herd or this year's kid crop. If you are concerned that any of the goats you sold might have become infected, it would be best to call the buyers and make them aware and then decide what course of action to take--whether they decide to keep their goats and test them, send them to slaughter, or sell them back to you if you'll buy them. It's a tricky situation for sure.

In cleaning up your property, is it possible to completely scrape the ground in all common/heavily used areas and take away the top layer of dirt? You could then spray the ground with a bleach solution. I'm thinking of those power washers with the soap attachments. I wonder if you could put bleach in the attachment and have it mix with the water in the sprayer? I hear Johne's can live in the soil for ages so rotating pens for a while is probably not an option given the length of time. What a headache. I hope the rest of your herd tests clean. I know that even if they are unaffected, you'll be on pins and needles for a few years as you watch and pray. I'm really sorry the results came back this way.

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Thank you all so much for all the sympathy, support, and suggestions. It really is all so helpful and appreciated.

I'm very hopeful that all goats older than Burrata are perfectly safe and that it is not extremely widespread. But yes the work, cost, and worry of the next few years is very stressful.

We are scheduling family for extra hands and a babysitter for next weekend to do a huge barn and pen cleaning & scraping & spraying as a starting point.

I can not/will not pull kids and bottle at birth. All 2019 kids will be raised out for meat. Even with a thorough cleaning, I can't guarantee there won't be bacteria somewhere.

·
Premium Member
4,750 Posts
Thank you all so much for all the sympathy, support, and suggestions. It really is all so helpful and appreciated.

I'm very hopeful that all goats older than Burrata are perfectly safe and that it is not extremely widespread. But yes the work, cost, and worry of the next few years is very stressful.

We are scheduling family for extra hands and a babysitter for next weekend to do a huge barn and pen cleaning & scraping & spraying as a starting point.

I can not/will not pull kids and bottle at birth. All 2019 kids will be raised out for meat. Even with a thorough cleaning, I can't guarantee there won't be bacteria somewhere.
Oh salty! I am so sorry for all of it!

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
I am SO SORRY you are going through this! I have no advice, just hugs... (((((HUGS)))))

41 - 60 of 167 Posts