The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're afraid we've got a goat with it. Here's my question. The inflicted goat is about 1 year 3 months old and she has severe diarrhea. What I've read indicates that the disease affects older goats, and diarrhea is not common in goats (it's common in cattle). Is that right and she probably doesn't have it? Also, we've only owned this goat for about 3 months. It also appears unlikely that if she has it, she contracted it at our farm.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,087 Posts
I second the fecal testing. Worms have been horrible this year and can cause scours. Diet can also cause scours (like gorging on fresh grass). We're batting the runs with a little buddy we have here. We're using GI Soother from Fir Meadow, Pepto, and yesterday gave him some activated charcoal. He seems to be improving but I still have to watch him.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Yep, how is the goat doing weight wise? Are they loosing weight like crazy? Johnes can effect goats of all ages. A friend of mine had it somehow in her herd and and well it was a lost cause. They had to go I believe two years without a positive test and they can not do it. It is horrible. It has got them from babies to adults, not how young I am not totally sure but I am pretty sure around the 1 year mark.

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
If you are new to goats, then I would be starting with a good fecal test to include coccidia. If there is a good goat vet by you, I would take her in and have her checked over good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts