Joint ill? Broken ribs?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by muddymomma, Jan 8, 2019.

1. muddymomma

muddymomma New Member

Oct 19, 2012
    I have a 6day old boer kid with swelling on both front knees, I'm thinking its likely joint ill. The right is worse than the left and it is obviousy painful when squeezed. Feels like fluid in there. he's been in the house for 3 days and can not walk. He can stand for a bit if you put him on his feet but won't put weight on the right knee at all. I just shaved that knee and he has dark blotches on it. Back legs seem fine. Maybe bruises? I've never shaved any part of a boer so I'm not sure if dark blotches under the hair is normal.

He also has a bludge on his side around where the last couple of ribs are. It's fluid filled and I drained it with a needle/syringe yesterday. I got bloody, clear fluid and the bluge had come back when I checked on him around an hour later. I drained it again today, same fluid, and I got it to shrink much more. I felt his ribs and it felt almost like there was a hole in them, about the size of a does foot. The lump came back. I can push it back into the hole but it comes back out pretty quickly. Is it possible that the rumen is coming out where the ribs are broken? I intially thought he'd gotten trampled but im wondering if he went down because of the joint ill then got stepped on. hes a meat goat and im not spending the $ on a vet. I've been giving him penG and i wrapped his ribs in an ace bandage with a napkin folded just smaller than the hole to keep the buldge in. I'm hoping the ribs can heal. He has a great appetite, seems pretty perky, but he grunts a bit when he breathes like he's in pain.

Recomendations? I know penG isn't the right med, if there's something I can get at the feed store I'll do it. Anything to help the pain? I kinda like the little guy & I'm willing to give him a chance as long as he has some fight left in him.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  2. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    A broken bone actually bleeds, ugly blue black bruises appear. Swelling around a broken area is common. A broken bone hurts very much and is agonizing when pressure is applied. Broken ribs will make breathing not only difficult, each breath raises the pain level several notches higher. With a rib where the bone is completely snapped in pieces, there is a risk of perforation into surrounding organs. It takes several weeks for a broken bone to knit back together. A broken bone in a joint without proper treatment will never heal properly and the deformations of the joint only increases with age.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Get the baby to the vet right away.

4. NigerianNewbie

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    @toth boer goats
    :up: The exact words of post#1 "hes a meat goat and im not spending the $ on a vet" :(

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. muddymomma

muddymomma New Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Thank you all for answering. As for the vet, I should also say that we just plain don't have the $$ for one. I have a kid of the human kind that has autism & my youngest has major med problems. I can not work due to docs, hosp, and trips out of state for testing. Please don't think I'm heartless, I just can not spare the $.

Does anyone have an idea about the bludge on his ribs? I want to do everyrhing I can, but if there's no way for him to pull through Ill put him down.

7. NigerianNewbie

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    I fully understand about money issues, stretch every dollar so thin you can see through it. What I find unsettling :(, is, the kid has obvious pain, has unknown medical issues with his front legs and most of what is needed is only available through a vet. From the description only; the hole in the rib cage about the size of a hoof and the pain with breathing, really points to the ribs being broken. You have to keep in mind, none of us is visually able to see the kid. I have done research in the past few minutes on joint ill and the best treatments for it require a prescription from a vet as well. I haven't given any thought about you as a person, only the well being of the kid.

8. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    I am not a vet this is just what my vet told me to do
    My guess is joint ill too... treat with antibiotic (penicillin) one cc SubQ once a day for five days
    joint ill is hard to treat because the blood circulation in the legs is so poor.

9. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    For joint ill , the best OTC antibiotic would be LA 200 1 cc per 20 pounds sub Q once a day for 10 days. Joint ill needs aggressive treatment. as for his side, keep him penned where food and water are close and no other animal cant hurt him. rest and hopefully healing. I wouldn't drain it any more as each time risk introducing bacteria. Banamine can help with pain. May take time to heal and stop leaking but any time the pain is more then you can manage for him, euthanizing maybe most humane. Best wishes

toth boer goats likes this.
  10. muddymomma

muddymomma New Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Thank you, I picked up some LA200 yesterday morning. I was feeling the buldge gently yesterday and I think I was mistaken about it being a hole. I'm pretty sure it is a broken rib under there. He's pretty fiesty this morning, he still can't walk but he's trying to stand on his own & scooting across the floor. He's also much quieter. I almost put him down but I think the LA200 is working much better than the penG I was using. But if he takes a turn for the worse I will do so.

11. NigerianNewbie

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    That is great news that he is feeling better. :goodjob: Sounds like changing antibiotics helped. Still uncertain about legs though because the probability those black spots around his joint could be bruises as you suggested leans toward injury also.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  13. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Glad he's showing improvement.

14. muddymomma

muddymomma New Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Looking closely it seems like those spots are skin coloring. But I'm honestly not sure. They don't have that purple tint like bruising typically does and the swelling is only at the joint, not spreading away from it at all.

We've grown to like the little stinker and I suspect I may have been over thinking things earlier. it looks like joint ill, he was stepped on when he went down and broke a rib, maybe 2. His ears were also swollen and heavy with fluid when i brought him in the house. It was single digits outside when he was born and the ears were iced up when I found him. I had dried him off & warmed up his ears. I'm glad to see he won't be loosing part of them as the swelling is gone and they look great.

Poor guy got a rough start but we've fallen in love and he'll be a wether assuming the trend continues and he makes it. it looks like he has a Mohawk and a soul patch, reminds me of a punk rocker so we named him Strummer. I'd post a picture but I'm not sure how to do it.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Where you write a post, you will see Upload a file below, click on that, it will open another window, from there, find the photo you want to share from your files. Click on the photo, it opens and uploads it to TGS.
    You can pick thumbnail or full screen pic, write what you want to say, then post, if all looks good.

muddymomma likes this.
  16. NigerianNewbie

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Strummer is an unique name. I like it alot. Are the black spots spreading downwards or getting bigger? Bone bleed is black bruises starting close to break and get larger, longer while it follows the path of gravity. If answer is no to that question, that is great news and injury to legs can be taken off table. It is easy to get attached to the little guys, my 3 have my heart also. ;)

17. muddymomma

muddymomma New Member

Oct 19, 2012
    The spots haven't changed, I'm thinking its just skin coloration similar to what a dog has.
    20190105_102902.jpg
    My daughter took this pic a few days ago. The mohawk is much more obvious in person. Joe Strummer is a punk rock singer who had a mohawk on one of his tours. Not my scene anymore but a friend knows all those guys & suggested it when she saw a pic.

18. NigerianNewbie

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    He is a handsome buckling. Good news about the coloration on the legs. Hope he continues to improve as well as he has so far.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  19. 15WildTurkey

15WildTurkey Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2015
    He could totally be the front man for the Clash. Stay strong little Strummer. I know a couple that named their son Strummer. :heehee:

muddymomma and GoofyGoat like this.