Joint Ill

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Nicki, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Nicki

Nicki New Member

Jun 14, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Hello, I've been treating two bucklings for joint ill for about two weeks now. The first one to go down was immobile for 4-5 days and couldn't get up at all. The other one could get up on his hind legs but not on his front legs. They've both been given big doses of antibiotics for 4 days. They have both improved so much, as they both can get up and walk around. The problem I am having is that one joint, the left shoulder in both boys is still swollen. What can I do or give them to help? This is the only joint that doesn't seem to be improving much. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Nicki

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You need to do antibiotics for at least 10 days.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree..10 full days of antibiotics and at least 3 days of banamine to help inflammation and pain

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. Nicki

Nicki New Member

Jun 14, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    We started back on the antibiotics, but have not given banamine, just aspirin. Is that the medicine that will help with the swelling? They are both getting around better, but their joints are still so swollen. I worry that they'll never look right again. Any advice? Also, is there any type of oral antibiotics that can be given? I'm really struggling with injections.

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You need injected for this. The banamine would be better than aspirin.

7. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes..banamine is whats needed to reduce inflammation and pain. and yes..antibiotics need ti be injected :(...sorry

8. Nicki

Nicki New Member

Jun 14, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Do I just ask the vet for banamine?

9. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    yes..tell him what you are treating and ask for 3 days worth for each baby with joint ill....then after three days you can talk with him about if more would be wise

10. Nicki

Nicki New Member

Jun 14, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Thank you all for the help and advice! I'm ready for my little guys to be good as new!

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California