Joint Ill

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Orianna, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Orianna

Orianna New Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Vic
    Hi Guys

I've just joined The Goat Spot and still working my way around, but I think I've come to the right spot here to ask my question.

We have an 8 week old wethered male goat kid, named Boysenberry who has Joint Ill.

It all started when he was 4 weeks old when he came down with a high temp, off his food and very swollen joints and knees.
    We had him to the vet and he went on a course of antibiotics for 1 week. That made his pretty much better, his temp came down and he went back on his milk again. But his knees and joints didn't come down in size much.

Then just the other day he came down with a temp again and started favoring 1 leg again. Back to the antibiotics - which has made him feel better but he is still walking very gingerly and still favoring his left leg with very swollen knees and joints.

I have been giving him Oreganol oil internally and externally as well as comfrey cream on his knees.

After the last course of antibiotics I started him on some probiotic but then he got sick again....aggghhh!

The antibiotic is called: Engemycin 100 (oxytetracycline Hydrocholide 100mg/ml) However I have just read that it is counteracted by milk and of course our little Boysenberry is on the bottle as well as him mum.

Any ideas? I would really appriciate them. I'll try anything!

I'd take him back to the vet, but all they want to do is start with X-rays and I really don't have the money.

He has a wonderful new home waiting for him, but I can't sell him like this!

Thank you so much.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Baytril works for joint ill.

3. Orianna

Orianna New Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Vic
    Thanks, I'll give that a go. I guess I just need to get it from my local vet?

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. Orianna

Orianna New Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Vic
    I went to my local vet and asked for some baytril after explaining the situation and they refused to give it to me. So frustrating. Although today he is looking so much better. Such an answer to prayer for sure. We still have him on the Engenycin 100 but have increased the dose a little so hopefully we've turned the corner. Thanks for all your help.

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yeah, vets want to see the animal before describing meds. It can be a pain when we already know what the issue is. :(

Glad things are better. Hope he continues to improve.

8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Glad he is feeling better...with joint ill you need to do 10 full days of antibiotics...baytril being the best, the nuflor, tylan 200 or penicillin as last resort... the oregano oil can help too..its a hot oil so be sure to dilute it .

keep a close eye on his temp as naval ill can go sepsis...

9. Orianna

Orianna New Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Vic
    Thanks so much guys. Was annoying about the vet. They've already seen him once! Oh well. His temp is fine now and he is jumping around and on things again with all the other kids so I think we're on the right path. We did do10 days last round but I think this time round it's starting to work and will do for another 10 days. Thanks again

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    They seen him but didn't give you the med later, that is not right. Quite strange.

He sounds like he is on the road to recovery. :)