The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Has anyone had experience in dealing with long term joint ill? my Sabeen is undergoing treatment for this and is about done with long term antibiotics and he still hasn’t fully recovered. He eats and grazes well but seems very sore getting up from laying down. Is this something he will have to always deal with?

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
how many days of antibiotics? and which one is being used? With joint ill 10 full days of a good antibiotic is needed, Baytril is number one choice. Nuflor and La 200 also have been used successfully. Any anti inflammatory used?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how many days of antibiotics? and which one is being used? With joint ill 10 full days of a good antibiotic is needed, Baytril is number one choice. Nuflor and La 200 also have been used successfully. Any anti inflammatory used?
Hi
Thank you for replying. Yes Baytril at least 2 weeks. He just gave me another week yesterday. Also on Meloxicam been in 15 just yesterday told me to double it. He's eating fine grazing and little grain but walking so gingerly coming from his hind quarters.

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
Good job. I would also give vit c daily. There has been research in human trials that combo of vit c and steroid can prevent and heal sepisis. Mightvtalkmto your vet about adding Dexamethasone and vit c. With joint ill. Sepsis is a real concern.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good job. I would also give vit c daily. There has been research in human trials that combo of vit c and steroid can prevent and heal sepisis. Mightvtalkmto your vet about adding Dexamethasone and vit c. With joint ill. Sepsis is a real concern.
Awww interesting. In the beginning he did give steroid shot. I also starting him on probiotics. Do you recommend the same vitiman C I take ?

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
Yes. I use NOW brand in powder form for easy dosing but any Vit c will do. some goats love vit c chewable. 1000-3000mg a day is dose. You cant over dose Vic c..he will pee out what he doesnt need.

·
Registered
30,585 Posts
also make sure probiotics are given 3-4 hours after antibiotics for best effectiveness

1 - 14 of 14 Posts