Joint/naval ill?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by ghenke, Mar 27, 2019.

1. ghenke

ghenke New Member

Mar 28, 2017
    I have a young buckling I am concerned may have naval ill. His back legs seem fine but his front legs seem a little wonky. He doesn’t seem to be in pain at all or have any swelling and he’s still hopping around. Does anybody here have experience with it? I’m not sure what the symptoms would be exactly. Any help would be very appreciated!!

Attached Files:

2. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    If it is joint ill you need to get baytril from your vet asap.
    Did you dip his umbilical cord in 7% iodine when he was born?
    Are his knees hot and swollen?
    Does he have a temperature? (Normal temp is 101.5-103.5)
    Is he nursing or bottle fed?

Here's a good link about joint ill

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.comjointill.html

I hope he's ok, but I'd get a vet involved if you suspect joint ill.
    He's adorable by the way

ghenke likes this.

3. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I had something similar happen this year. She had big knees, no temp, and was a bouncy happy baby so I just figured maybe because she was such a big boned baby. A few days later she had a fever, could t walk and crying in pain. I did a LOT of googling and made a thread on here about her. Anyways the key to joint ill is to jump on it fast. If you don’t then you may not be able to save it or it may not thrive even if it does live. There was a lot of different recommendations on what to give for it, that is why I made the thread. I went with nuflor and it worked fine for HER. I had already started her on it by the time I really started to dig and get replies about her and penicillin is basically better then nothing, nuflor worked on mine but was pretty much luck that it was able to cover what the infection was caused by but baytril covers everything and is in fact the drug of choice. If you don’t have baytril I would call your vet as soon as you can because it is RX and get him started on it.

ghenke likes this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Rickets, the leg looks really bent there?

Selenium deficiency?

ghenke likes this.
  5. ghenke

ghenke New Member

Mar 28, 2017
    105FD166-41CC-4051-972C-261F25FA38AF.jpeg 635CFCA1-7657-4810-9C29-6066FE1E372A.jpeg Thank you very much for your responses! I certainly won’t be forgetting the iodine again. I usually remember but this kid was born at 3AM and I guess I was not thinking straight. My mom (the main goat person) was on vacation at time and I was quite overwhelmed! Luckily his leg has straightened out nicely on its own. I didn’t see any other symptoms and it was definitely getting better so I decided to wait before calling the vet. I’m glad to have all of this information for future reference though!

GoofyGoat and toth boer goats like this.
  6. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Thanks for updating us! I'm so glad he feels better.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is really good to hear. :)