The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Pygmy mix wether. The lady who had him kept him in a dog kennel with an igloo house that he climbed on.
When he walks his knees make a constant cracking sound. Is that healthy? If not what should I do?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I read up on vit. a&d shots, and one of them a sign of them needing it was cracking noise in the joints, maybe thats what they need?? I just dont remember which vit. it was but it comes in a combo

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just got a Pygmy mix wether. The lady who had him kept him in a dog kennel with an igloo house that he climbed on.
When he walks his knees make a constant cracking sound. Is that healthy? If not what should I do?
My old nubian and nigerian both do that. Eager to see the responses

·
730 Posts
Make sure the noises are not coming from his hooves! They can be cracked, and split causing a similar noise.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could feel it in his knees so I know it's not the hooves. If it is a dominance thing would it still show up if he has been by himself?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
If I remember what I read a long time ago in the Pat Coleby Natural Goat Care book (I love that book and highly recommend it to all) it is from low boron levels. Well it could be low levels of vit a & d and/or copper and/or boron and/or dolomite.

If your boron levels are low then you will not be able to absorb the vit a & d correctly. Kelp is good to feed this animals if you are not already feeding it in your herd.

I hope this helps. I have been busy packing so I am not sure what pages it is in the Pat Coleby book but I am sure it would be fairly easy to look it up. If you can't find the exact info let me know and I will drag my book out later. (I think it was about mid-way to closer to the end of the book. I know it was past the half way mark when I was reading it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts