Jude at the vet with UC :(

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Anna, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    Got up this morning to feed the goats and my 5 month old buck, Jude, was just standing in the pee position grinding his teeth and grunting. Loaded him up to the vet, cut the tip, and got a very slow drip of urine. We think the main blockage must be up higher. They offered to send him to MSU (about 1 1/2 away) but the pricing they gave us was SEVERAL hundred, and he was going to a new home in a few weeks... there is no way we can pay for that. Dr. K said she could keep him at the clinic over night dosed up on pain meds and sedatives, and see if maybe it will flush out, but there probably isnt much more we can do but keep him comfy and pray. :sigh: They are sending off a urine sample to see how I can better ballance thier feed to keep it form happening again. I was putting ammonium chloride over his feed. It has been one of my biggest fears in keeping bucks and wethers, I thought it it out..I thought I was preventing it. Yet, it still happened. And I feel so terrible. My pasture feels so empty. I'm slowly selling out the unregistered herd. Pretty much everything but the 2 bottle kids. I've sold 3 of the original already, and 6 of the goats I have left are 1 month old kids. Without Jude tonight, it just hit me like a ton of bricks. I lost his mom and sister this summer... it is all coming back... that sick feeling... I hope he lives.... I need hugs...

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry ...that is so sad.. :( ..I pray he will get better.... :( :pray: :pray:

3. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    :hug: :hug: Sorry about your buck :pray: for his recovery. It's NOT your fault!

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Anna, I am so sorry for what you are feeling. What did you loose his mother and sister from? Did you sell them or did they die?
    If you are giving Ammonia Chloride on his feed, are you giving grain? If so Bucks really do not need it. Take a look at your mineral. It should be two parts calcium to one part Phosphorus. If it is not at least twice the amount that could be the problem. They have to have that to balance out each other to help prevent UC.

Anna. :grouphug: :grouphug: I pray that he makes it tonight. I hope he was able to pee enough to release the pressure on his bladder. It is very painful for them. Please let us know how he did once the vet pens up.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh poor Jude. I hope he makes it for you :hug: you are a good goat mama and dont you forget it!

The calcium phospherous ratio Lori mentioned is so important. Feed and minerals should have this "balance"

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Sending lots of :hug: for you and Jude.

7. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    I put Jude down, this afternoon. He was slowly dripping urine all night and this morning they called and said he was blocked again and ultra sound showed his bladder was near rupture. :( They tryed to drain it through the abdomen but it was so crystalized the urine wouldnt flow through the needle. I went by after school to say good bye, he was pretty doped up and didnt look to be in to much pain. It was nice to scratch behind his ear (his favorite spot) and kiss is cute little nosey. He is going to be so missed. I just knew it was the best thing for him, we burried him by is family, together for the first time in nearly five months. It hurts, so bad... :tears:

8. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I am so sorry for your loss. You did the right thing by ending his pain and though its hard, he is happy and playing in greener pastures. :grouphug: :grouphug:

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    OH Anna!!!! I am so so sorry :hug: :tears:

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so sorry - I really hoped that there was better news.

:hug: to you.

11. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I am so very sorry Anna :hug: