Judge my boy Harrison!

Discussion in 'Show Circuit' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, May 15, 2020.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I shaved Harrison today! it may not be the best job in the world... AT ALL! lol, but i am happy with it! SO, what are this boys pros and cons? I will say, he is very little. Only 30 pounds, and turned 1 year old in Feb. He isnt skinny, just short.
    i will hopefully have a few does done soon, but it might rain tomorrow, so we will see.
    IMG_2420.jpg

2. Morning Star Farm

Morning Star Farm Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2018
    I like him. He has nice length and dairyness with adequate masculinity. His rump is long, but could be a little more level. He has good angulation in his rear legs, but his front legs could be positioned more squarely under his shoulders and his shoulders could be tighter. He is naturally uphill, but could definitely use a more prominent brisket.

A few other things though. Next time you set him up, use a smaller chain on his neck to show it off better. Also, you mentioned he is small, that's good for first fresheners if he throws small kids, but most judges do not like small Nigerians. I know it sounds crazy, but they almost always go for the bigger ones.

Nigerian dwarf goat and Nash12 like this.
  3. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Ya, I noticed that when i got done shaving him. I want another buck, so when I get him, he will definitely have a longer brisket. :)

I couldn't find my choke chain LOL! Should i get better pics for my website?

Is that my fault? Like should i have set him up more squarely?

My new buck will also have a more level rump :)

LOL! Well, I will still try some shows with him, but I wont get my hopes up Haha!

Morning Star Farm likes this.
  4. Morning Star Farm

Sep 26, 2018
    I think it is fine for your website, but I wouldn't use it in the show ring.

You have him set up very well. I'm looking at the positioning of his shoulder though. When you show him, you can try to align his legs with his withers to make it look better.
    I tried and tried with my little does, but never got placed better than the middle of the class. The Nigerian is a miniature breed, so you'd think they would want the smaller animals, but mine were always faulted for their height no matter how pretty they were. All depends on the judge and your competition though, so you never know!

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  5. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Clara could care less about me touching her back end! I am really happy with this girl! I think she is beautiful!!
    IMG_2446.jpg
    I think she could use a better brisket extension as well, and maybe be more uphill? I also think her neck/ shoulder should blend more smoothly. I am learning, so I dont know for sure!! She is a junior Nigi who turned 1 in January. She is 72 pounds.

Their shaving job is much better because i picked up a #5 blade instead of a #10. It isnt nearly as patchy as poor Harrisons!

For some reason, babys pic wont upload so i will try again later. I still have to do the bratling Sadie, but my back hurts lol, so i will either do her later today or tomorrow. She could use it, because she pants alot.

6. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    IMG_2509.jpg
    here is baby! (Profile pic) What do you think?

7. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Ok now that I have time, I will type up a bit about Baby
    She is a 83 pound MDGA registered mini Nubian, who doesnt meet breed standards (which i think means she cant be showed) But, i wouldnt show the little brat anyways, because when her back end is messed with, she hocks in and lays down! You should have seen me try to shave her back end! Gahhh!

When i set her up, i wish i set her front legs up better. They are a bit underneath her. But that was like the 10 millionth picture because she wouldnt set her back feet up.

Under her chin kinda looks swollen, but it is just the loose skin being pushed up by her collar lol!

Her rump is steep, but I like her long dairy neck, along with her long, straight topline. Thats really all I can identify/judge LOL!

I decided I didnt have enough patience to get Sadie shaved today, with shearing baby, and fighting with a stubborn FF im training to milk I didnt have enough in me!! I will try to get the the turd done tomorrow haha!

8. Morning Star Farm

Sep 26, 2018
    Clara is lovely! She is long and dairy, but deep bodied and strong. Her topline is level and she has an excellent rump. Her forelegs are set under her shoulders which appear nice and tight too. She could blend more smoothly from the neck into the withers, and it may just be the way she's standing, but she looks like she needs more angulation and correctness in her rear legs.
    Nice job setting her up! What is the bottom of her neck collar made out of?

9. Morning Star Farm

Sep 26, 2018
    Baby is nice. Yes, her rump is very steep, but she could use more overall length. She is pretty short bodied and could use a better brisket. She is deep though and that loose wrinkly skin is good dairy character!

10. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    It is a pronged show collar I got at TSC. I like it, but the little prongs always fall out and are a pain to shove back in lol! Here is the link!
    https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...VA2FbcoJPKjVY9yoQVwVeUSkgu2_vkeEaAu2DEALw_wcB

It says it is Nickel plated. I plan on using a choke chain much like this one.
    [​IMG]

I got it for Christmas a few years ago when I was showing Market Boers. The bottom of it is a choke chain, but the handle is a beaded leather. I hope it will be ok to use it in the show ring?

11. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    IMG_0063.jpg

Here is 3 year old Sadie. I forgot to weigh her, but she is a big girl, so I would guess around 75 maybe 80 pounds but that could be pushing it. I probably won't be able to show her either, because she won't lead, and broke one of my daughter's toes! (kinda her fault, cause she was wearing flip-flops as you can see lol)

I think she is a bit shallow bodied, and her back isn't as level as the other girls, and I think she could also use a better brisket extension, but I think she is really nice! She is Clara's half-sister, having the same sire. if you go to my website (linked in the section below) and go to the does page and find her, click on her name and you can see her pedigree.

My new sire will definitely have an outstanding brisket extension because it seems like something I am lacking in my herd.

12. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Also, none of these girls are in milk, I plant on breeding for December/ January kids.

13. Morning Star Farm

Sep 26, 2018
    Sadie is a very nice doe! She does lack body capacity and brisket extension, but she has good length of body and neck and her topline is actually level, especially her rump. She has an excellent rump! She is extremely sharp at the withers and must have very tight shoulders. That's not a fault, that's very good for improving front end assembly. On bigger does it can make them go overheight, but you shouldn't have that problem.

14. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    She is actually a very short doe. Very compact lol! I don't think she is over 21 inches, but I can measure her tomorrow :)

I can't believe how much shearing can bring out in a doe! I thought Sadie had a little more prominent brisket, but hey! when you take the clothes off, everything changes!

Yes! Her rump is beautiful! That is why I picked her! and because of her tight shoulders! She was in a pen with 5 other does that I could choose from, and I almost picked one who was very friendly, but she just wasn't as nice as Sadie! The guy was surprised I picked her because she was a bit skittish, but she is now a lot better, and the only time she won't come up to me is if her bully, Cricket is with me!

I am going to work very hard with this girl and see if I will be able to show her, but so far she doesn't allow leading or a whole lot of udder touching, but she is better than Baby!
    I have another thread on her panting. The vet is coming tomorrow, and I will have him check for a heart murmur, so please pray that it isn't, or I wouldn't feel safe bringing her to shows!

Morning Star Farm likes this.
  15. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    If you want us to judge them more accurately then it would be helpful to see pictures of them a little more natural and by the I mean not pinched down. If you're using pictures for your website you'll want to use pictures were you cant see that they are being pinched down ;)

They are very nice girls

16. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Thank you! I had no idea!! So pics of them standing in the pasture?

17. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Not necessarily, set up like you normally would just dont fuss with them as much. But those pictures would look great for your website

18. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas