Judge Oliver

Discussion in 'Goat Conformation' started by Ashlynn, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    Help me judge Sir Oliver or simply put Oliver. He is a three year old, polled, blue eyed Nigerian Dwarf buck. Be honest! I can get stacked pictures of him tomorrow if necessary. 714B80E7-2D36-4174-AD13-5FF7BF0063BD.jpeg FDDC72CF-CD25-44EF-852F-EF4B30BBDD8B.jpeg 5427B66A-3E79-48CD-874B-7284E67F1264.jpeg 4D44BE85-B3B5-4400-8903-01BC8D061A09.jpeg

ksalvagno likes this.
  2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    He's a handsome guy! Do you know his height or weight? Looks to be on the larger side of NDs but I'm no help with my Boers.

I don't have a lot to offer for conformation but it does looks like he needs additional selenium and possibly copper in his life. What mineral supplements has he had the past 6 months, how much/how often.

His front pasterns are very very low and the hair on his tail is looking a bit thin.

Attached Files:

Iluvlilly! and Ashlynn like this.

3. Ashlynn

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    @SalteyLove He was bending kind of weird to eat in that photo, but he is due for copper and selenium. He is on the larger side, don’t know his exact height, he is still under the max as I’ve measured him before. He was on Sweetlix Meat Maker mineral daily, but yesterday I had to give him the Wind and Rain cattle mineral as the store was out of the other.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    Iluvlilly! likes this.
  4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Oh I love love love his color. Handsome guy!!
    He does look on the larger side but its really hard to tell size from picture.

Ashlynn likes this.
  5. HungryFox

HungryFox Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2020
    New England
    Not a fan of the testicles.
    Low, droopy, not as well attached as I would look for. Would indicate to me that his genetics may produce poorly attached udders.

A pic shot on hard ground may give better idea of pasterns. An area I should learn more about myself.

Ashlynn likes this.
  6. Ashlynn

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    @HungryFox His mom did not have the best attachment, but his dad’s side of the family has really good attachment. Interesting how genetics work. Would you say my other buck has better testicles? Might post a thread for him too.

Attached Files:

7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Very concerned by his pasterns. Needs selenium ASAP what do you do for overall mineral supplementation?

SalteyLove likes this.
  8. Ashlynn

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    He gets either Sweetlix meat maker mineral or Wind and Rain Cattle mineral daily. We also have hard water. He gets selenium gel monthly. I gave some to him after the comments yesterday. He also gets copper bolus yearly unless needed sooner. He was due for selenium yesterday and his pasterns were low, but that picture exaggerated it because he was bending weird to eat, was on a slope, and in really soft sand. In person they aren’t as low as in the picture, but I did supplement him yesterday.

9. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    His color is beautiful! If you can get pics of him set up it would be easier to judge his conformation (I know how hard it is to do that though, lol).

Ashlynn likes this.
  10. Ashlynn

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    Will do, he just got into rut a few days ago so is super stink :bonk:

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  11. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Mine went into rut about a week and a half ago. Fleece was trying to pee on himself the whole time I was trying to get decent pics. I’ve got two more I want to photograph but not sure if they’ll cooperate.

Ashlynn likes this.