The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been to a goat show and am not experienced with judging goats....I would so appreciate any comments on my four goats, just so I know what I've got to work with! I'm aiming more for dairy ability, but show conformation is second on my list.
Not sure I got the pose right, but I got as close as I could. Had to use treats. :laugh: My sister was there snapping picture after picture.
So here are my goats.

First, Tiny Dancers Tessie. She's my first goat. :)

Next is Lazy Q Farms Helen, my second goat, and the one I'm milking. I think she could use more width all through. I would post pictures of her udder, but her production now is only about 1/4 what it was. She's a first freshener.

Here's the buck, Lil' Hill Farm KC Flashback. We were really happy to get this boy!

And just 'cause I don't want to leave him out, here's Hans, Helen's son. He's a wether. He's really lively, friendly, and full of personality. On top of that, he's black and tan! :love:

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Tessie has a distinct pygmy coloring which is a fault in the ND show ring. She toes out in the front and her back legs turn out making me believe she is hocky in the rear. She lacks in rear angulation and could use more of a natural uphill slope.

Helen is much nicer. Her front legs are straight and she has a natural uphill slope to her stand and I love the brisket on her as well as her long dairy neck. Overall she is your nicest goat.

Flashback -- I wonder if he is related to my does sire (KissMyFlash) they have a very similar face. Anyway I like this boy, he could use a bit more lenght but his overall stance is good, long neck and good front legs. Cant see how his back legs look but they dont seem to be to hocky. Would like to see him mature more before giving a more detailed critique.

The wether shows off his mom's dairy character - shows how much of a nice goat she is as her offspring resembles her. Long dairy neck, good feet and legs standing with a natural uphill stance.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Stacey.....excuse my ignorance, but since I know nothing about showing or what makes a show quality goat.....what do you mean by "hocky"? just curious.....

By the way milkmaid.....cute goats you have!

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
oh sorry -- "hocky" is a term we use to explain that a goat's hocks turn in at the hocks way to much. A little turn is ok - to much will really hurt you in the show ring. Let me see if I can show you with my goats.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Gotcha! Thanks Stacey......my Jake is very hocky then, I have wondered about his legs looking at him from behind......I was actually worried that something was wrong with him! I should post a pic of him...he even runs funny!

Sorry Milkmaid....didn't mean to steal your thread!

·
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You didn't steal my thread; that helps a lot! I'll look to see if Tessie's hocky.

Stacey, thanks for all the comments! I knew about the coloring fault on Tessie, but not until after I bought her. What exactly is rear angulation? Sorry, I'm still a newbie. :)

All my goats toe out some. Could that be because of how I trim their hooves?

Do you see any areas that could use improvement on Helen?

Oh, and one more thing. Are Tessie's faults obvious, or could it be partly because she's in a less flattering pose? Just wondering. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I would need to see her udder but it looks like her teets might point out some? how is her rear udder height? the first doe pictured could use more rear udder height but the second doe has much better height

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
rear angulation is how much it angles from the rear to the hocks.

and I should clarify that her coloring isnt a fault but its more like that its discriminated against in the show ring.

·
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, I see. I'll see if I can post some pictures of her udder. Looks like maybe she could use more udder height. Thanks very much!

·
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These aren't the greatest pics, but they're the best I could do. What do you think of her udder? She's a FF and late in lactation, so it's only about half full.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
she is no where near full but I would say she has good teat size, cant say on placement because that can change when full but it looks pretty good. She has a nice medial but it could be stronger creating a higher tighter rear attachment.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
StaceyRoop said:
she is no where near full but I would say she has good teat size, cant say on placement because that can change when full but it looks pretty good. She has a nice medial but it could be stronger creating a higher tighter rear attachment.
I agree...she could also benefit from a wider rear, though when she's full that may be more noticeable.

:wink: If you put a set of horns on Tessie and shortened her legs as well as gave her a barrel belly....she could pass as my Bootsie's twin..minus those blue eyes.

Funny how color patterns can be the same but are called by different names with each breed/registry....Tessie is a ND but her pattern would be a roan, my Boots is pygmy/nigi and with pygmies the pattern is Agouti. :ponder:

·
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you put a set of horns on Tessie and shortened her legs as well as gave her a barrel belly....she could pass as my Bootsie's twin..minus those blue eyes.
Awww... :lovey:

Thanks for the comments :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts