The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have learned a lot from reading this type of thread so I thought I’d do my own.
Both does are FF (freshened last April), mostly ND with a bit of Lamancha and this is about an 11 hour fill.
I have more photos/angles (including milked out) if you would like to see them.
Please excuse the sloppy udder shaving.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Hazel:
Leg Fawn Working animal Wood Snout

Leg Wood Fawn Dog Snout

Mocha:
Leg Mammal Working animal Elephants and Mammoths Fawn
Eye Leg Mammal Dog breed Fawn

Edit:
Here is Hazel with a 13 hour fill

Attachments

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
540 Posts
Ok, so both of these does are also lacking a high and tight udder like MellonFriends' does. High, tight attachments are super important for an FF to have because it is something that will not improve with time, instead, it usually worsens from getting stretched out. Both does do have really nice medial for FFs though! I like the teat placement on Hazel better. Mocha's teats "wing out" to the side to much, but her udder follows the rule of thirds very, very well!! I can't really judge their foreudders from these angles, do you happen to have good angles for that? If you want, go ahead and post all the angles you have! Lol! And I would also be interested in seeing their milked out pictures!

Here's a really good example of tight, high and wide attachments as well as a super smooth foreudder. This is my ND doe Sugar and her FF udder.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are the rest of the photos. I had trouble getting good ones or their fore udders…

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok, so both of these does are also lacking a high and tight udder like MellonFriends' does. High, tight attachments are super important for an FF to have because it is something that will not improve with time, instead, it usually worsens from getting stretched out. Both does do have really nice medial for FFs though! I like the teat placement on Hazel better. Mocha's teats "wing out" to the side to much, but her udder follows the rule of thirds very, very well!! I can't really judge their foreudders from these angles, do you happen to have good angles for that? If you want, go ahead and post all the angles you have! Lol! And I would also be interested in seeing their milked out pictures!

Here's a really good example of tight, high and wide attachments as well as a super smooth foreudder. This is my ND doe Sugar and her FF udder.
View attachment 212478 View attachment 212479
Thanks for replying! This is pretty much what I was thinking. I personally prefer Hazel’s udder, do you agree?
Sugar’s udder is beautiful!

·
Registered
540 Posts
From what I can tell, their foreudders actually look pretty nice to me!! And they seem to milk out good as well!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Thanks for replying! I personally prefer Hazel’s udder, do you agree?
Sugar’s udder is beautiful!
No problem! Like I've said before, I really enjoy these threads! Hmm, they both have their own pros and cons...I do think Hazel has better attachments and teat placement than Mocha, but I do love Mocha's udder from the side view...overall, Hazel's udder is probably the better of the two. Other things to consider, that you can't tell from pictures, is orifice size, udder texture, and ease of milking.

Thank you!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No problem! Like I've said before, I really enjoy these threads! Hmm, they both have their own pros and cons...I do think Hazel has better attachments and teat placement than Mocha, but I do love Mocha's udder from the side view...overall, Hazel's udder is probably the better of the two. Other things to consider, that you can't tell from pictures, is orifice size, udder texture, and ease of milking.

Thank you!
I guess I am biased toward Hazel because she produces a little more milk (she gives about 6 cups per day and Mocha a bit less) and she is also super easy to milk which is always nice!
Mocha does have better tasting milk though (yes, we did a blind taste test) lol

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,272 Posts
What a great learning experience this is! I love being able to compare, it makes it easier to understand what to look for. 😃
Sugar's udder is gorgeous. I want some of those high tight genes in my herd! I am somewhat surprised to to hear you describe her foreudder as smooth. I thought smooth foreudders didn't drop down below the doe's belly. Am I incorrect?

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
1,795 Posts

View attachment 212478 View attachment 212479
Great udder on that gal!!

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
1,795 Posts
I have learned a lot from reading this type of thread so I thought I’d do my own.
Both does are FF (freshened last April), mostly ND with a bit of Lamancha and this is about an 11 hour fill.
I have more photos/angles (including milked out) if you would like to see them.
Please excuse the sloppy udder shaving.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Hazel:
View attachment 212436
View attachment 212441

Mocha:
View attachment 212443 View attachment 212444

I like the way Mochas udder looks, I do however like the way Hazels teats look and their placement. Are they mini Lamanchas or Nigerians?
Overall I have to agree with Dandy tho.

·
Registered
323 Posts
@Dandy Hill Farm Can I just say? I LOVE THE SPOTS. That would make me happy to milk every morning! She does have a very pretty udder.

Hi Ella, I concur with the attachment and teat placement comments already made. Mocha's got the 1/3 rule nailed, the profile looks nice. Doesn't one of them have a little foreudder pocket? I can't remember which.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Dandy Hill Farm Can I just say? I LOVE THE SPOTS. That would make me happy to milk every morning! She does have a very pretty udder.

Hi Ella, I concur with the attachment and teat placement comments already made. Mocha's got the 1/3 rule nailed, the profile looks nice. Doesn't one of them have a little foreudder pocket? I can't remember which.
Hi Molly!
Mocha has a bit of a foreudder pocket but only when she is really full.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I guess I am biased toward Hazel because she produces a little more milk (she gives about 6 cups per day and Mocha a bit less) and she is also super easy to milk which is always nice!
Mocha does have better tasting milk though (yes, we did a blind taste test) lol
See!?! Both does really do have their own pros and cons!! 😁 If you could find a buck from high, tight udder lines, then I think their offspring would have really nice udders!! 🥰

·
Registered
540 Posts
What a great learning experience this is! I love being able to compare, it makes it easier to understand what to look for. 😃

Sugar's udder is gorgeous. I want some of those high tight genes in my herd! I am somewhat surprised to to hear you describe her foreudder as smooth. I thought smooth foreudders didn't drop down below the doe's belly. Am I incorrect?
Thank you! I guess I was mostly referring to the fact she doesn't have a pocket there. But you are right, the udder should blend nicely into their belly. 😉

·
Registered
540 Posts
Thank you, I love her spotty udder too! 🥰 I was actually very surprised to see her spots the second time I shaved her though!! The first time her udder was shaved, it was ALL pink!!
Jaw Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout Liver

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,272 Posts
Thank you, I love her spotty udder too! 🥰 I was actually very surprised to see her spots the second time I shaved her though!! The first time her udder was shaved, it was ALL pink!!
That is so shocking! That must have been a surprise!

Thank you! I guess I was mostly referring to the fact she doesn't have a pocket there. But you are right, the udder should blend nicely into their belly. 😉
Okay, thanks for clearing that up! 😙

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,663 Posts
You judge fore-udders from the side profile, you want to see as smooth (and as long) of a transition from the udder into the belly as possible to where it looks like the fore is one with the belly. You can see pockets usually from the side, but I like to feel. I milk from the back and will run my hands up to the fore and you can get a good feel for pockets and shelves. It ideally should feel smooth all the way to the belly. I have one girl that had a bit of pocket and as she has progressed with freshenings, it has gotten worse. It weakens the attachment of the udder.

I'd look for a buck like said, high udders with tight attachments and width in the pins so that they have more of an arch and width to the top as it increases capacity. You have a good start to work with. Also remember FF udders change a lot with subsequent freshenings. When your doe hits 3rd to 4th freshening, their udders will have matured to what they will probably be for the rest of their life, unless it starts to break down. Mocha's fore looks better than the other doe. That too can change in subsequent freshenings. The other doe has a much shorter fore.

I'll share a doe I have, her udder is one of my favorites visually. (also to milk as well). On this doe I would still prefer it higher as you want the teats higher than the hocks. But you can see the balance of the halves, tight medial, teats in the proper place and straight down. You can see her foreudder, not as smooth as I'd like but it's not terrible. I'm working on getting the rest of my herd (which isn't too bad) to produce this udder, just higher, smoother fore, and more capacity.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts