The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I just edited my first post to include a photo of Hazel with a 13 hour fill, if you are interested in seeing her a little more bagged up (the first pic was only 11 hours)

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,663 Posts
I think Hazel will fill out a bit more with subsequent freshenings. Her teats might come in a touch more, and she might fill more at the top and be a little wider. However, I'd still find a buck that is wide in the pins/escutcheon area (try to find a grown buck with daughters you can see if possible) and well attached and high udders.

Feed and management has a lot to do with how their udders turn out in addition to genetics from my experience.

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
540 Posts
You judge fore-udders from the side profile, you want to see as smooth (and as long) of a transition from the udder into the belly as possible to where it looks like the fore is one with the belly. You can see pockets usually from the side, but I like to feel. I milk from the back and will run my hands up to the fore and you can get a good feel for pockets and shelves. It ideally should feel smooth all the way to the belly. I have one girl that had a bit of pocket and as she has progressed with freshenings, it has gotten worse. It weakens the attachment of the udder.

I'd look for a buck like said, high udders with tight attachments and width in the pins so that they have more of an arch and width to the top as it increases capacity. You have a good start to work with. Also remember FF udders change a lot with subsequent freshenings. When your doe hits 3rd to 4th freshening, their udders will have matured to what they will probably be for the rest of their life, unless it starts to break down. Mocha's fore looks better than the other doe. That too can change in subsequent freshenings. The other doe has a much shorter fore.

I'll share a doe I have, her udder is one of my favorites visually. (also to milk as well). On this doe I would still prefer it higher as you want the teats higher than the hocks. But you can see the balance of the halves, tight medial, teats in the proper place and straight down. You can see her foreudder, not as smooth as I'd like but it's not terrible. I'm working on getting the rest of my herd (which isn't too bad) to produce this udder, just higher, smoother fore, and more capacity.
Peach has one of the nicest udders I have ever seen! 😍

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
540 Posts
And just to show you HOW much an udder can change through freshenings, here is that girl's 1st-5th freshening pics.
I always love seeing how much a doe's udder changes with each freshening!! One of many changes I noticed with Peach's udder is that her udder has gotten higher with each freshening. That is something I didn't know could improve with time!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I always love seeing how much a doe's udder changes with each freshening!! One of many changes I noticed with Peach's udder is that her udder has gotten higher with each freshening. That is something I didn't know could improve with time!
Well, that's one thing where I mentioned feed can influence (if the genetics are there) their full potential. That's when I first got her. I have learned a lot about feeding them to encourage good production and letting their udders fill and stretch as a FF. However, even through her next couple of freshenings it slowly got more wide. But I was learning feed all through those years lol. She honestly blew me away her 4F and then 5F. She is one of my favorites, such a good girl. I'm thrilled with how she turned out. She is a wide girl, so I don't know if she just hadn't matured udder wise for a few years or what. But she had room to fill up there even though it didn't look like it the first year. I'm still trying to understand how she developed so that I can use it to assess FF udders.

@Jubillee, I am gasping for air, that udder is so good! Mamma mia! How much does she produce each milking?
Haha thanks. I can't take credit, I didn't breed her, but I'm happy with it. I have her 2-year-old son that will be used this year. This year she produced a gallon when I pulled her kids for test day. she hit in the 6# range on her tests the first 4 months (other than the one-gallon month). When her boys left, she settled into 4.5-5# for a while. She's bred now and about 8 months into lactation and making 3.5#. She dropped when hormones kicked in. The pic of the most recent freshening was about 4.5# in that udder at that time.

Why did you even keep her the first year?? Man, it’s sure a good idea you did!
Well, at the time, we just had them for milk and she was our first doe and I didn't really know what a good udder was back then hahaha. Then she stayed for sentimental reasons and she was a good doe. Then she blossomed! I have also learned to look for the basics in a FF udder and decide if I should give them another year...I don't judge my FF too harshly, lots of factors play into how they can freshen.

Wow! What a fantastic udder! What breed is she?
She's an F1 Mini-Nubian. 50/50%. So half ND and half Nubian.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
BUT all that to say, @Ella Ruby I think Hazel will surprise you. I would feed her good alfalfa and a good grain on the stand when she freshens again (even now) and next year I bet she looks even better.

Mocha ( I have a Mocha too!) her attachments won't get better, and might even get worse over time and her teats may come in a touch, but will probably always wing out a little.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts