Judge these goats

Discussion in 'Goat Conformation' started by BBFarms, Aug 10, 2020.

1. BBFarms

BBFarms New Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Western NY
    Hello! I'm very new to goats and I am looking to start out with a nice small herd of Nigerian dwarves. My goals are to breed for better confirmation and milk production. But i'm a total newbie and have no idea what to look for, So i'd really appreciate your information. These are (I think) the best goats I could find in my area for sale. I'd love to hear all the pros and cons about these guys :)

Doeling #1 4 months old.
    IMG_4193.JPG
    Doe #1, 2 years old
    IMG_4161.JPG
    Doe #2, Also 2
    IMG_4180 (1).JPG
    Doe #3, 2 years old as well.
    IMG_4183 (2).JPG
    Doeling #2, This is doe #3's daughter and is 5 months old. IMG_4185 (1).JPG
    And the Buckling, around 4 months
    IMG_4136.JPG

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I’m super in-experienced with judging, ask @MorningStarFarm .

I don’t like doeling #1, so young and already showing deficiencies, and a very steep rump angle.

Doe #1 doesn’t have the best rear angulation or body capacity, and may be weak in the chine, hard to tell.

Doe #2 just looks very straight and posty and I’m not a fan.

Doe #3 is my favorite, better body capacity, less steep rump, not the straightest topline but I could deal with it.

Doeling #2 looks like she needs to grow into her body a bit, but I like her too.

Udders would be very helpful to see.

Buckling is a little scrawny but I could see with some good groceries and growth him being pretty good looking!!

Iluvlilly! and BBFarms like this.

3. BBFarms

BBFarms New Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Western NY
    Do you mind pointing out the deficiencies in doeling #1 ? To my rather untrained eye i thought she was the better of the doelings, but then again I am still learning lol

4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Yes! Her back legs have a sort of rusty color, not jet black - copper deficiency, her hair on her topline looks a bit fuzzy/scruffy/thin, also copper, and she has the beginning of a fishtail. If the farm doesn't offer loose minerals, then I'd say not so bad - but if she has loose minerals and still looks like this at 4 mo I would say you'd be breeding deficiencies.

BBFarms likes this.
  5. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    But seriously, not my area of expertise, I'd really only trust what @Morning Star Farm has to say.

BBFarms likes this.
  6. BBFarms

BBFarms New Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Western NY
    I see it now. I'll contact them and ask if they offer their animals minerals, Thank you! I appreciate your help :)

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  7. BBFarms

BBFarms New Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Western NY
    I forgot to mention that they are dried up. I'll see if i can get some udder pictures from them

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  8. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I’m still learning so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. If you’re just starting out, and these does are the best in your price range, then that’s what you have to start with. I’d invest the most in your buck as he will be half of your herd.

I like doe #3 the best. Like NigerianDwarf said, she’s got the best body capacity and looks like a nice top line. I’d be interested to see her udder pics. Downside is she’s got horns. That would be a dealbreaker for me, but maybe you’re good with horns.

Doeling #2 isn’t cooperating for the picture, she’s probably better put together than represented in the photo. I’d want to know her height as she looks like she’s about as tall as her dam at 5 months.

Doe #1 would be my third choice. She’s not standing evenly in front, but looks like she might have a nice brisket. Her teats look places pretty far forward on her udder, though maybe it is deceptive since she is dry.

Doeling #1 looks like she might be back at the knees (could just be her coloration or the photo) in addition to the steep rump. She’s parked out a bit so her rump is probably even steeper if her hocks were set under her pins.

Doe #2 I’d pass on. Not sure if she’s just badly in need of a good trim or something else is going on in her hind end, but she’s not one I’d go for.

As far as the buckling goes, it’s so hard to judge at this age. The bucklings seem to go through a worse awkward stage than doelings as they grow. Is he the nicest buckling you can afford? Does he have strong milking lines/genetics behind him?

I would recommend that you buy from clean tested herds, where the animals are well maintained. You’ll save yourself a lot of trouble and heartache that way.

BBFarms and R.Williamson like this.
  9. BBFarms

BBFarms New Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Western NY
    Yes, they are the best i can afford as of now. I got an udder picture from the man selling them. he said this was just before she kidded
    IMG-1601.PNG

As for the buckling he seems to be the nicest around. His Sire is Phoenix farm Icebird Legacy *b and his dam is SG StraightWay Farm Ruby 3*M.

10. NorthRidge Farms

NorthRidge Farms New Member

Jun 30, 2020
    Lewiston NY
    This is false information,
    I own both these pictures and animals and have never once posted them on any site other than BYH. They are definitely not for sale.

Thought i'd also add that I had just bought this doeling(Along with some others) over the weekend from someone who I don't think offered minerals so yes she is a bit copper deficient. She's on a good diet now with free choice minerals.

And as for doe #2 yes she was in dire need of a trim. She was recently added to my herd and was very neglected at her previous home. It's been a bit of a hassle trying to correct her hooves but they're definitely improving.

@BBFarms Can you pm me the contact information of whomever is claiming to be selling these animals? I'd also like to know how you came across them.

11. BBFarms

BBFarms New Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Western NY
    Sorry, I’m not sure how to pm people yet. Still very new to this site. I found the ad on Craigslist but it appears to have been taken down by the author

NorthRidge Farms likes this.
  12. BBFarms

BBFarms New Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Western NY
    Never mind! Just figured out how to start a conversation

NorthRidge Farms likes this.
  13. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Well that’s just creepy that someone ripped your photos and was trying to act as a false agent. I wonder if that is a new scam. Get people to send a deposit or full payment on a goat then disappear. I’ve had a number of buyers send deposits sight unseen. I hate scammers.

Sorry for the unsolicited critique on your goats. Hopefully with some good trimming you can get doe #2 standing better in the hind.

14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Wow @NorthRidgeFarms these are your goats??

Kass likes this.