The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering does anyone else have a goat with half a hoof or anything like that?
Back when Judy first got injured I looked high and low for any success stories similar to what we were going through and couldn’t find any so I figured I could share ours here.
At the end of April I was out of town and a few days before I was supposed to come home my Dad went out in the morning to feed and Judy had somehow gotten some thin blue wire wrapped tightly between her toes around half her hoof. Having never used any blue wire on our place the only thing I can think of is that it might have been buried in the dirt from a tornado a few years ago. He removed the wire as soon as her found her like that but he didn’t know for sure how long it had been on. I cut my trip short and was home the next night, at that point she was limping and the toe was cold and didn’t seem to have any feeling. The next morning it had a jello like consistency and had started the process of sluffing off.
I started her on antibiotics and banamine and I cleaned our two horse trailer and made it into a kind of hospital room that she used for the next couple months.
When the toe finally fell away completely the bottom of her bone was exposed. At this point I was pretty set on putting her down, I didn’t see how she would heal properly and I couldn’t afford the 2-3 thousand dollars I was quoted to amputate the leg. But I talked to a couple trusted goat mentors and because she seemed to be managing the pain and she was in such good spirits they convinced me to try a little longer.
I did soaks, bandages, shots, ice baths and anything else we could think to do. I kept that trailer meticulously clean and after another 2 weeks the swelling was gone and the skin had completely healed up but the end of the bone was still exposed. She didn’t seem to be in any pain so we eased her off the pain management and I started taking her out on a lead rope to graze for a couple hours a day. She continued improving daily and at the end of June it finally completely healed up around the bone. Now she acts like a completely normal goat is just as active and ornery as my others and doesn’t even limp. She gets that half hoof trimmed at least once usually twice a week to try and make sure it doesn’t take on a weird shape but other that that lives a completely normal life.
It was a crazy and stressful couple months but I’m so glad we tried and she beat the odds and healed.
Plant Mammal Fawn Grass Working animal

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Believe it or not that almost happened to one of my bucks. I was prepared for him to lose a toe but was lucky he never had any issues and did just fine. I had went out one morning to feed and he was laying in the hay shed where their round bale was and some how managed to kick a board loose getting not one but both hind feet stuck in the board one on each side . Started him on penicillin kept a close check and he never went cold so he must of only been like it a short time.

Accidents happen. She looks like it doesn't bother her at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Believe it or not that almost happened to one of my bucks. I was prepared for him to lose a toe but was lucky he never had any issues and did just fine. I had went out one morning to feed and he was laying in the hay shed where their round bale was and some how managed to kick a board loose getting not one but both hind feet stuck in the board one on each side . Started him on penicillin kept a close check and he never went cold so he must of only been like it a short time.

Accidents happen. She looks like it doesn't bother her at all.
I’m glad he didn’t have any lasting issues and you got to him quick enough! Yes, it does seem with animals no matter what you do to safe proof their areas they still manage to find trouble

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I’m glad he didn’t have any lasting issues and you got to him quick enough! Yes, it does seem with animals no matter what you do to safe proof their areas they still manage to find trouble
Thanks. Yeah my husband can't believe how OCD I am about being safe then he sees other people with horses living in barbwire fencing and goats tied out on stakes and he wants to know why I have to have no climb horse fencing and no collars on goats to prevent anyone from getting caught in anything lol.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have a cow! We were hauling a load of cows in the trailer. The back door broke and her leg came out and totally messed her hoof up. She ended up loosing half her back hoof. My dad brought her to me to see what I thought and at first I said she needs to be put down. She was so full of life even being in pain I changed my mind and said let’s give her a few days. She kept getting up, I kept doctoring her and eventually she lost the half of the hoof totally. Her name is Jinx and although she can not run as fast as the others it doesn’t keep her from being able to be with the other cows and going EVERYWHERE they do, even to the mountains which is fairly steep. When she come in for water this evening ill get a picture of her wonky foot. There has been a few times I have been sure I was just prolonging the bitter end they would have to face but seemed willing to fight. She is a perfect example of why if they are willing then I’ll help them along……….of course while having the gun ready just in case

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a cow! We were hauling a load of cows in the trailer. The back door broke and her leg came out and totally messed her hoof up. She ended up loosing half her back hoof. My dad brought her to me to see what I thought and at first I said she needs to be put down. She was so full of life even being in pain I changed my mind and said let’s give her a few days. She kept getting up, I kept doctoring her and eventually she lost the half of the hoof totally. Her name is Jinx and although she can not run as fast as the others it doesn’t keep her from being able to be with the other cows and going EVERYWHERE they do, even to the mountains which is fairly steep. When she come in for water this evening ill get a picture of her wonky foot. There has been a few times I have been sure I was just prolonging the bitter end they would have to face but seemed willing to fight. She is a perfect example of why if they are willing then I’ll help them along……….of course while having the gun ready just in case
That’s amazing! I’m so glad Jinx pulled through. And absolutely, I had myself at least half convinced through the whole process that I was just dragging out the inevitable but I’m glad I stuck with it and have the amazing support system who helped me

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You certainly are to be commended for all the good care that you gave your doe. Wire and goats just are not a good combination!
Thank you! And yes I totally agree! It was so odd, it threw all of us for a loop with that stray blue wire. We’re so careful with our scraps because I’m always worried about hardwire disease but the only place I can think is that one of the tornadoes we’ve had brought it in… or the boogeyman lol

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Thank you! And yes I totally agree! It was so odd, it threw all of us for a loop with that stray blue wire. We’re so careful with our scraps because I’m always worried about hardwire disease but the only place I can think is that one of the tornadoes we’ve had brought it in… or the boogeyman lol
Don't mention the boogeyman or he will leave you other gifts. We had a neighbors mini beagle at the old farm that would carry things over or dig holes without warning. So maybe keep an eye out for dogs passing through aka the boogeyman ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't mention the boogeyman or he will leave you other gifts. We had a neighbors mini beagle at the old farm that would carry things over or dig holes without warning. So maybe keep an eye out for dogs passing through aka the boogeyman ;)
I hadn’t even thought of that I do have several dogs that could have been the culprits

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I hadn’t even thought of that I do have several dogs that could have been the culprits
That may of been what happened. Once at the old farm when we had sheep in a lower field the neighbors dog dragged some wire for an invisible fencing into the sheep field and I had a sheep get it's leg stuck in it. Had to wrestle to get it off the sheep. Everyone was fine but had about 100 plus feet of isolated copper wire and he still couldn't keep his dog up. We were on 80 acres so the little dog dragged the wire a long ways too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts