jumping question

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by sjcummings, Jun 20, 2010.

1. sjcummings

sjcummings New Member

May 28, 2010
    I have 7 nigerian dwarf goats. 2 were new additions. The problem I have is that the one new addition doe jumps fences. I have a cattle fence currently with wire at the top to make it taller. She tends to back up from the fence and take a running leap at it. She also leaves the other goats to be one her own usually likes to go to the neighbors house or our front porch. What can I do to keep her from doing this?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How high is the fencing? It's odd that she's the only jumper...most try but can't clear 6-7 foot, mine are too bottom heavy to jump thier 4 foot fence thank goodness! If you can, maybe try adding more height to the current fence.
    Is it possible that she's too bonded to humans and not goats that she prefers your company? Some "bottle babies" are very bonded to people.

BTW WELCOME!

3. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    Hi,
    I put in cattle panel fencing, and I had to add an additional half cattle panel to the top of my fencing to keep my buck in. It's been six days now without him escaping (a record for this buck). I know it can be VERY frustrating. Hang in there.
    -Tina

4. sound4hound

sound4hound New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    My nubians were jumping so I tethered them to a 30 foot plastic coated cable with a lightweight chain collar. I fastened it so when they jump, they wouldn't get stuck or caught on anything. After about 2 weeks, we took the tethers off and they don't jump anymore.

5. sjcummings

sjcummings New Member

May 28, 2010
    I have had nigerians for 2 years 4 females and a wether. They have been on about little over half acre with I think its a 4 foot fence. They were bottle fed babies and never escaped. In april I added 2 new nigerians good blood lines and adga reistered one came from a breeder and the other an FFA member who was going to college. The one that the FFA member had is the one that is escaping. When she started jumping tried to put wire all around the top making it 4 1/2 to five foot it stoped it for a couple days. But it did start up again. I have watched her after I put her in. She will put her head in a circle couple times then back up and start running to the fence sometimes have to do it multiple times because another goat gets in the way or I guess doesn't feel she has enough speed. I am also not sure if she is trying to land on the top of the fence and use it as a springbord or if her feet just catch the top but she doesn't always land on her feet on the other side. I wanted to stop it before anyone else thought it was a good idea. Don't know if she was bottle fed but does seem she is more attached to humans, well except for me right now because I am the one who always puts her back.